Celtic male

ÁED: Old form of Gaelic Aodh, meaning "fire."

ÁEDÁN: Diminutive form of Gaelic Áed, meaning "little fire."

ÁEDH: Variant spelling of Gaelic Áed, meaning "fire."

AILILL: Irish Gaelic name meaning "elf." In mythology, this is the name of the husband of queen Méabh.

AILPEIN: Old Gaelic name, possibly of Pictish origin, meaning "white."

ALASTER: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALEISTER: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALESTER: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALISTAR: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALISTER: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALISTIR: Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ANÉISLIS: Irish Gaelic name derived from a byname meaning "careful, thoughtful." Stanislas andStandish are Anglicized forms.

AODH (pronounced ee): Modern Irish and Scottish Gaelic form of Old Gaelic Áed, meaning "fire." In Celtic mythology, this is the name of a sun god.

AONGHAS: Gaelic name composed of the elements aon "excellent" and gais "boldness, valor," hence "excellent valor." In Celtic mythology, this is the name of a god of youth and love. Also spelledAonghus. Translated by the Scottish into Aeneas.

AONGHUS: Variant spelling of Gaelic Aonghas, meaning "excellent valor."

ATHOL: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, derived from the name of a district of Perthshire, Scotland, composed of the Gaelic elements ath "ford" and al "rock, stone," hence "ford of the rock; rock-ford."

BARRA: Short form of Gaelic Fionnbarra, meaning "fair-headed." Compare with feminine Barra.

BEARNARD: Gaelic form of French Bernard, meaning "bold as a bear."

BIORNA: Gaelic name of Nordic origin, meaning "bear."

BRÁDACH: Gaelic name, possibly from a contracted form of brághadach, meaning "large-chested."

BRAONÁN: Gaelic name composed of the elements braon "drop, moisture," and a diminutive suffix, hence "little drop."

BRIANT: Gaelic name composed of bri "exalted" and the termination -ant implying the state of that to which it is affixed, hence "the exalted one." Compare with another form of Briant.BRÓGÁN: Old Gaelic name composed of the word br�g "shoe," and a diminutive suffix, hence "little shoe."CAINNEACH: Variant spelling of Gaelic Cainnech, meaning "comely; finely made." CAINNECH: Gaelic byname meaning "comely; finely made." Kenneth is an Anglicized form. CAISIDE: Gaelic byname derived from the word cas meaning "curly(-headed.)" Cassidy is the Anglicized form.CAOINDEALBHÁN: Old Gaelic name composed of caoin "comely, fair," dealbh "form," and a diminutive suffix, hence "little fair-formed one."CAOLÁN: Gaelic name composed of the word caol "narrow" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little slender one."CAOLLADHE: Old Gaelic name derived from the element caol, meaning "slender."CAOMH: Gaelic name derived from the word caomh, meaning "beloved, comely." CATHARNACH: Gaelic byname meaning "soldier, warlike."CATHASACH: Gaelic byname meaning "vigilant, wakeful."CEALLAIR: Old Gaelic occupational name transferred to forename use, derived from the word cealloir, meaning "superior of a church cell." CEARNAIGH: Gaelic name derived from the word cearnach, meaning "victor, winner."CIAN: Irish Gaelic name meaning "ancient, distant." In mythology, this is the name of the son-in-law ofBrian Boru.CIAR: Old Gaelic name derived from the word ciar, meaning "black."CIARÁN: Irish name composed of Gaelic ciar "black" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little black one."CIARDHA: Gaelic name derived from the word ciar, meaning "black, dark."COINÍN: Old Gaelic byname composed of the word cano "wolf" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little wolf."COINNEACH: Variant form of Gaelic Cainneach, meaning "comely; finely made."CÓNÁN: Irish Gaelic name which was originally a byname derived from a diminutive form of "hound," hence "little hound."CONRÍ: Gaelic name composed of the elements conn "chief, head, hound" and ri "king," hence "chief-king" or "hound-king."CUIDIGHTHEACH: Old Gaelic name meaning "helper."DAIMHÍN: Old Gaelic byname meaning "little fawn, little stag."DÁLACH: Gaelic name derived from the word dál, meaning "assembly, gathering."DEORADHÁN: Old Gaelic name composed of the elements deòradh "exile, outlaw, pilgrim," and a diminutive suffix, hence "little exile" or "little pilgrim."DIARMAID: Irish name probably composed of the Gaelic elements "without" and airmait "envy," hence "without envy." In mythology, this is the name of a High King of Ireland.DIARMUID: Early Gaelic form of Irish Diarmaid, meaning "without envy."DOMHNALL: Scottish Gaelic name composed of the Celtic elements dubno "world" and val "rule," hence "world ruler."DONNDUBHÁN: Old Gaelic name composed of the elements donn "brown," and dubh "dark, black," and the diminutive suffix -án, hence "little dark brown one."DUIBHÍN: Gaelic byname meaning "little black one."EACHTHIGHEARNA: Gaelic name composed of the elements each "horse," and tighearna "lord, master," hence "lord of horses."FEARCHAR: Gaelic name composed of the elements fear "man" and char "dear," hence "dear man."FEARDORCHA: Gaelic name composed of the elements fear "man" and dorcha "dark," hence "dark man."FEARGHAL: Gaelic name composed of the elements fear "man" and gal "valor," hence "man of valor."FEARGHAS: Variant spelling of Gaelic Fearghus, meaning "strong-man." FEARGHUS: Gaelic name composed of the elements fear "man" and gus "ability, strength, vigor," hence "strong-man."FÉIDHLIM: Short form of Irish Gaelic Féidhlimidh, possibly meaning "hospitable."FÉIDHLIMIDH: Irish Gaelic name, possibly derived from the word féile, meaning "hospitable."FINN: Old Irish form of modern Gaelic Fionn, meaning "fair, white." In Irish legend, this is the name of a hero, Finn MacCool, who became all-knowing after eating a magic salmon. Compare with another form of Finn.