Scottish Female Names

ADAMINA: Scottish feminine form of Hebrew Adam, meaning "earth" or "red."

ADAMINNA: Variant spelling of Scottish Adamina, meaning "earth" or "red."

AILEAS: Scottish Gaelic form of English Alice, meaning "noble sort."

AILEEN: Scottish Anglicized form of Gaelic Aibhilín, meaning "little Eve." 

AILITH: Either a Middle English form of Anglo-Saxon Æthelgyth, meaning "noble war," or a variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alyth, meaning "ascending, rising."

AINSLEY: Scottish habitational surname transferred to unisex forename use, composed of the Old English elements ansetl "hermitage" and leah "meadow, pasture," hence "hermitage meadow."

AINSLIE: Variant spelling of Scottish unisex Ainsley, meaning "hermitage meadow." 

AITHBHREAC: Old Scottish Gaelic name meaning "new speckled one."

ALICKINA: Scottish form of Latin Alexandra, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALISON: Norman French form of Old High German Adalheid, meaning "noble sort." In use by the English and Scottish.

ALLIE: Scottish pet form of Norman French Alison, meaning "noble sort."

ALLY: Scottish pet form of Norman French Alison, meaning "noble sort."

ALYTH: From the Scottish place name Alyth, from Gaelic aileadh, meaning "ascending, rising."

ANNABELLE: Scottish variant form of English Amabel, meaning "lovable." Compare with another form of Annabelle.

ANNAG: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Anna, meaning "favor; grace." 

ANNIS: Scottish form of French Agnès, meaning "chaste; holy." Compare with another form of Annis.

ANSTACE: Variant spelling of English/Scottish Anstice, meaning "resurrection."

ANSTEY: Pet form of English/Scottish Anstice, meaning "resurrection."

ANSTICE: English and Scottish name derived from Latin Anastasia, meaning "resurrection." Popular in the 13th century. 

ARABEL: Scottish form of English Amabel, meaning "lovable."ARABELA: Variant spelling of Scottish Arabella, meaning "lovable."ARABELL: Variant spelling of Scottish Arabel, meaning "lovable." ARABELLA: Elaborated form of Scottish Arabel, meaning "lovable." Compare with another form of Arabella.

ATHOL: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, derived from the name of a district of Perthshire, Scotland, composed of the Gaelic elements ath "ford" and al "rock, stone," hence "ford of the rock; rock-ford." 

BARABAL: Scottish form of Greek Barbara, meaning "foreign; strange."

BEARNAS: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Berenice, meaning "bringer of victory."

BEATHAG: Feminine form of Scottish Beathan, meaning "life."

BEILEAG: Pet form of Scottish Iseabail, meaning "God is my oath."BEITRIS: Scottish form of Latin Viatrix, meaning "voyager (through life)."BLAIR: Scottish unisex name derived from any of a number of places in Scotland called Blair, derived from the Gaelic word blàr, meaning "field, plain," most often referring to a "battlefield." BRENDA: Old Irish and Scottish name believed to be of Scandinavian origin, from Old Norse brandr, meaning "sword." CAIRISTINE: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Christina, meaning "believer" or "follower of Christ."CAIRISTÌONA: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Christiana, meaning "believer" or "follower of Christ."CAIT: Short form of Irish Caitríona and Scottish Caitrìona, meaning "pure."CAITR�ONA: Scottish Gaelic form of French Catherine, meaning "pure."CAM: Short form of Scottish unisex Cameron ("crooked nose"), and other names beginning with Cam-.