Male French Names

EMAURRI: Norman French form of German Emmerich, meaning "work-power."ÉMILE: French form of Latin Æmilius, meaning "rival."ÉMILIEN: French form of Latin Æmilianus, meaning "rival."EMMANUEL: Latin form of Greek Emmanouel, meaning "God is with us." In the Old Testament bible, this is the name of the promised Messiah as prophesied by Isaiah. In the New Testament, it is a name given to Christ by Matthew. In use by the English and French.ENÉAS: French and Portuguese form of Latin Aeneas, meaning "praise."EREC: French form of German Erich, meaning "ever-ruler."ERMENEGILDE: French form of Teutonic Ermingild, meaning "all-giving." ESCLADOS: French Arthurian legend name of the first husband of Laudine, from Norman Frenchescalogne, from Latin escalonia, meaning "from Ascalon," a seaport in southwestern Levant.ESMÉ: Old French unisex name meaning "esteemed, loved."ÉTIENNE: French form of Latin Stephanus, meaning "crown."EUDES: Variant form of Norman French Eudo, meaning "child." EUDO: Norman French form of Scandinavian Eutha, meaning "child." This name and its variants are sometimes confused with Odo, Otto, and Audo. EUDON: Variant spelling of Norman French Eudo, meaning "child." EUGÈNE: French form of Latin Eugenius (2), meaning "well born."EUSTACHE: Old French form of Latin Eustachius, meaning "fruitful."ÉVARISTE: French form of Latin Evaristus, meaning "well-pleasing."EVERARD: Norman French form of Old High German Eberhard, meaning "strong as a boar." This name replaced Anglo-Saxon Eoforheard after the Norman invasion and was used in England during the 12th and 13th centuries.EVRARD: Variant spelling of Norman French Everard, meaning "strong as a boar."FABIEN: French form of Latin Fabianus, meaning "like Fabius." FABRICE: French name derived from Roman Latin Fabricius, meaning "craftsman."FELICIEN: French form of Roman Latin Felicianus, meaning "happy" or "lucky."FÉLICITÉ: French unisex form of Latin Felix, meaning "happy" or "lucky."FÉLIX: French form of Latin Felix, meaning "happy" or "lucky."FERNAND: French form of Spanish Fernándo, meaning "ardent for peace."FERRAND: Old French form of Visigothic Frithnanth, meaning "ardent for peace."FERRANT: Variant spelling of French Ferrand, meaning "ardent for peace."FIACRE: French form of Irish Gaelic Fiachra, meaning "raven."FILIBERT: French form of German Filabert, meaning "very bright."FILIMOR: Norman French name composed of the Germanic elements filu "very" and mári "famous," hence "very famous."FIRMIN: French name derived from Latin Firminus, meaning "firm, steadfast."FLORENCE: English and French form of Latin Florentius, meaning "blossoming." Compare with another form of Florence.FLORENTIN: French form of Latin Florentius, meaning "blossoming."FOLQUET: Provençal form of French Foulques, meaning "people, tribe."FOULQUES: French form of Old Norse Folki, meaning "people, tribe."FRANC: French form of Latin Franciscus, meaning "French."FRANCK: French form of Latin Franciscus, meaning "French."FRANÇOIS: French form of Latin Franciscus, meaning "French."FRASER: French surname transferred to forename use, of Norman origin, but the derivation has been lost due to corruption of form by association with the French word fraise, meaning "strawberry." In English and Scottish use.FRÉDÉRIC: French form of Latin Fredericus, meaning "peaceful ruler."FRERY: Middle French pet form of French Frédéric, meaning "peaceful ruler."FULBERT: French form of German Filabert, meaning "very bright." GAËL: Masculine form of French Gaëlle, meaning "holy and generous."GAËTAN: French form of Roman Latin Caietanus, meaning "from Caieta (Gaeta, Italy)."GAHARIET: French form of Celtic Gahareet, meaning "old." In Arthurian legend, this is the name of aKnight of the Round Table, a son of King Lot of Orkney. He was brother to Agravaine, Gareth, Gawaine, and half-brother to Mordred. He was squire to Gawaine before being knighted and is noted for being very good at moderating Gawain's fiery temper. He murdered his own mother, Morgause, after catching her in flagrante with young Lamorak. GALEHOT: Perhaps the French equivalent of English Galahad, a form of Hebrew Gilad, meaning "hard, stony region." In Arthurian legend, this is the name of a Knight of the Round Table who was called "Lord of the Remote Islands."GARLAND: Old French unisex name meaning "garland, wreath." Compare with another form of Garland.GASCON: From the Old French regional name denoting someone "from Gascony."GASPARD: French form of Portuguese/Spanish Gaspar, meaning "treasure bearer." GASTON: Later form of French Gascon, meaning "from Gascony." GAUTHIER: Variant spelling of French Gautier, meaning "ruler of the army."GAUTIER: Old French name derived from Old High German Walther, meaning "ruler of the army."GAUVAIN: Norman French form of Middle English Gawain, meaning either "May hawk" or "white hawk."GEOFFROI: French name perhaps derived from Norman French Godefrei, meaning "God's peace."GEORGES: French form of Latin Georgius, meaning "earth-worker, farmer."GÉRALD: French form of Latin Geraldus, meaning "spear ruler."GÉRARD: French form of Old High German Gerhard, meaning "spear strong."GÉRAUD: French form of German Gairovald, meaning "spear ruler."GERMAIN: French form of Roman Latin Germanus, meaning "from Germany."GERVAIS: Variant spelling of French Gervaise, meaning "spear servant."GERVAISE: Norman French form of Latin Gervasius, meaning "spear servant."GILEBERT: Old French name derived from Latin Gilebertus, meaning "pledge-bright."GILLES: French name derived from Late Latin Ægidius, meaning "shield of goatskin."GISBERT: French form of Old High German Gisilbert, meaning "pledge-bright."GODARD: Norman French form of Old High German Godehard, meaning "god-strong."GODDARD: Later form of Norman French Godard, meaning "god-strong." Compare with another form ofGoddard.GODEFREI: Norman French form of Old High German Godafrid, meaning "God's peace."GODEFREY: Variant spelling of Norman French Godefrei, meaning "God's peace."