Chapter Four

This is a short chapter, but I hope you enjoy! It gives more insight on Amelia's life, and even gives you an idea about Carter's. Vote & comment your thoughts :)
PS: this is unedited
**************

Out of habit, I woke up an hour before practice started, right as the sun was coming up. I rolled out of bed and tip toed out of the cabin wearing an oversized sweatshirt and shorts, catching the sky as the sun came up. The sky was a shade of soft pink as the bright orange sky began rising for the morning. I walk toward  the auditorium, but unlike yesterday's practice, I wasn't eager to play any music. Rather, I wanted to sit on the steps and watch the sky, preferring the sound of my thoughts to the sound of the piano.

Surprisingly, my head didn't hurt from a hangover, and I felt awake instead of wiped. As I leaned back against the steps and looked toward the rising sun, I felt a memory hit me like a ton of bricks, knocking me in the stomach and injuring my heart. Memories of Jake and I watching the sunrise countless times played in my mind until I was seeing the sunrises from last winter with him instead of the one right in front of me.

"I know I'm good looking, but that's no excuse to be following me around," A deep voice muses from above.

I snap out of my momentary daze and come face to face with none other than Carter Miller, who is smirking down at me. I'm shocked for a moment that he's even awake at this hour, but then I remember his presence at my practice yesterday, and shake the weirdness away to replace it with annoyance. My eyes narrow back at him as my attitude grows out of thin air.

"I think you need to get your eyes checked," I reply fiercely, a coldness behind my words that I don't usually speak with.

He, however, is unfazed. "How about a full body check? I'll let you do the honors, princess, and then I can return the favor."

Although some might think his arrogance is charming or flirtatious, I found it downright obnoxious. Infuriating, even. I stand up from my seat on the steps so I could come eye to eye with him- or as close as I could get, being a few inches shorter- and glare at him.

"It's cute that you think you'll ever see me naked," I drawl sarcastically.

Boyish excitement lights up his eyes when I say the word naked, like his imbecile male brain was hot wired to perk up at the thought of a naked girl. I wanted to roll my eyes, but instead  maintained my poker face. However, the moment he took a step closer to me, putting us toe to toe, leaving very minimal space between our bodies, my poker face wavered. A small, almost victorious smirk was on his lips, and he leaned closer to lessen our proximity.

"Is that a challenge?" Carter asks lowly, his voice husky and daring.

His arrogance refuels my determination to win our little banter, and I laugh humorlessly. "You'd have to have a chance at winning for it to be a challenge, Miller, and you have none."

Again, his eyes twinkle with mischief, and he almost whispers, "We'll see about that, princess."

More aware of exactly how close we were standing, I nonchalantly took a step back, but he noticed it and widened his smirk. I, however, decided to narrow my eyes at him, a newfound wave of annoyance washing through me.

"I told you not to call me princess," I snap, in lack of a better comeback.

Carter raises his brow, a cocky smirk forever planted on his lips. "Would you prefer baby doll? Or maybe sweetheart?" He pretends to think about this, and then shakes his head. "No, princess just has a certain ring to it. It fits you."

"It does not," I scoff, immediately denying his claim.

"But it does," Carter says slowly, his eyes piercing mine, his expression becoming more somber. "Let me guess; you're the perfect daughter. Smart, talented, and all that shit. You have a perfect little family, too, don't you?" When I don't answer right away, he smirks a little, but it's colder than before. Not as playful, but more resentful. "That's what I thought. You're a little princess."