Chapter Twenty Seven

Enjoy the update! Xo

***********************************

"Thanks," I mutter halfheartedly to the lunch lady.

My halfheartedness rooted from the issue that there were no more fries by the time I got in line, and I was heartbroken to say the least. Georgina rolled her eyes at me and ignored my whines, but I didn't stop moping around as we walked toward our table. I scanned the middle until I saw Wes and Joey laughing at something at their normal table and let out a breath.

"Why do they insist on being in the middle of the cafeteria?" I complain to Georgina. "It doesn't even matter."

"So they can look at more girls," Georgina answers easily.

I laugh and joke, "As if they don't talk about girls enough, they need to look at them at all times as well."

It was weird how easily Georgina and I fell into a routine with the boys. We've eaten lunch together all week, and Wes is in my History class and moved to sit next to me by the door. On Wednesday, Wes and Joey dragged us into the center of the cafeteria, where there was an empty table- their table, they assured me and Georgina- and we've been sitting there ever since.

We walk through the tables, past the judgmental and curious stares, until we reach Joey and Wes. I sit down in my normal seat across from where Carter usually sits, and next to Joey. The boys were in a heated argument about the Patriots and the Cowboys and didn't even notice our presence to greet us, so I just started eating.

"Tom Brady is the best quarterback in the league," Wes exclaims. "The Cowboys are just having dumb luck with Prescott."

Joey lets his jaw hang open in awe before spluttering, "Dax Prescott is not lucky, he is incredibly talented. Not to mention the man himself, Tony Romo."

"Tony Romo," Wes rolls his eyes. "Tony Romo has nothing on Brady."

"You just wait until next season, man," Joey shakes his head vehemently. "You'll realize that America's Team is perfect."

Carter sits down in between Joey and Wes, his tray dropping on the table with a thud, and looks between the boys. "What are you two arguing about? I could hear you shouting from the lunch line."

"Something pointless," Georgina mutters and I nod.

Wes points his finger accusingly at Joey and hisses, "He says Dax is better than Brady."

Carter turns to Joey and frowns at him. "You're a Cowboys fan? In New England? Disrespecting Tom Brady, the man with enough Super Bowl rings for each finger?"

I held back laughter at Carter's accusatory tone as he easily fell into the argument with the other boys. Even though I had become closer friends with Wes and Joey, Carter and I were at somewhat of a stand still. After our car ride home yesterday, I conceded to close myself off from him in order to keep from getting hurt.

Because let's be honest, there's no in between with Carter. It's either that I'm all in or not in at all. I can't float in an in between area where we're friends and everything is fine, especially with how things ended between us. So I kept my distance, barely acknowledged him, and usually only spoke to Wes, Joey, and Georgina.

"So, guys, my parents are out of town tonight. Party at my house later," Wes says casually, then glares at Joey. "Patriots fans only."

Georgina perks up at the prospect of a party and leans forward excitedly. "Party?"

Wes turns to grin at her. "Yes ma'am. Just me and my fifty closest friends. Are you going to be there?"

She turns to me and raises her eyebrows. "Want to come with me?"