Chapter Eighteen

Sorry for the short chapter, but it sure is an interesting one ;)
Vote & comment! Xo

*****************

"This is your last night, kid. Lock up when you're done and put the spare key above the back door," Ruth greeted me as I walked in the dining hall at nine o'clock.

I raised my eyebrows at her. "Really? It's already been two weeks?"

She pulls her jacket on and gives me an uninterested look. "That's what I said, isn't it?"

And without another word, she exits through the back door, leaving me alone in the dirty dining hall. Despite her poor attitude, I still found myself grinning. I was finally done cleaning this grotesque dining room after tonight. It was weird how easily it became routine and I forgot I was only here because I covered for Carter.

"Whatcha doing?" Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

I turn around and see Carter leaning against the frame of the open door with an amused expression on his face. After shaking off the initial shock that Carter had appeared so suddenly, I smiled again.

"Tonight's the last night of cleaning," I announce with a cheeky grin.

Instead of returning my excitement, Carter pout at me. "But I quite liked spending my nights with you."

Even though he was saying this in a teasing manner, I still felt my heart warm a little when he says this. I can't help it; I'm a girl, when a cute boy says a cute thing, I can't help but be in awe.

"I mean, seeing you dance was something I'll likely never forget," Carter continues.

His grin turns wicked with I narrow my eyes at him, and because I was still a little at a loss for words, I responded by sticking my tongue out at him. At this, he laughed heartily, and took a few steps inside the dining hall.

"Very mature," Carter mocked with his boyish grin.

I roll my eyes. "Says the most immature male on the planet."

"I happen to take extreme offense to that," He says seriously, but his twinkling eyes give him away. "My mother raised me a gentleman."

I look at him blankly. "So it was a gentleman who pushed me off the kayak yesterday."

Carter waves me off. "I didn't push you, I tipped the kayak," He corrects, like this has all the meaning in the word. "Besides, you can't hold me accountable for things I do out at sea."

I snort unattractively and remind him, "Were on a lake, not out at sea."

"You really don't want to let me have fun tonight," He pouts immaturely, not at all appreciating my correction.

A thought pops into my head that makes me smile, and Carter immediately notices my change in demeanor, thanks to his keen observational skills. His mock pout subsides quickly as he studies me.

"Who said we weren't having fun?" I question innocently, batting my eyelashes with a coy smile.

Before he can answer, presumably with a smart comment, I turn and disappear into the back. I found what I was looking for on the bottom shelf in the kitchen, and brought it out to the dining room, where Carter was waiting patiently. When I put the radio on the table, a boyish grin spread across his lips, like he knew exactly what I was up to.