Chapter Fourteen

Sorry for the wait, but here's the next chapter! So... Team Tedelia or team Cartelia? ;) 

Vote & Comment! Xo 

**********************************

We were kissing.

I couldn't think about anything else. Not about the fact my hands had long since left my sides and tangled themselves in his hair. Not about the way he moved to straddle the bench so he could slide impossibly closer to me. Not about how his kisses made my lips feel like they were on fire, and there was no hope in extinguishing the flames, so we kissed hungrily and watched the flames build up together.

One of his hands slid down to my neck, and then painfully slowly down my side until he gripped my waist, trying to pull me closer to him. My fingers tugged the ends of his hair desperately, and when I heard the soft moan come from his mouth, muffled by mine, I felt my heart beat quicken even more, if it was possible.

The second the need to breathe was stronger than the need for each other, we parted, but didn't go far. His hand rested on my waist as I looked at him breathlessly, lips swollen from kissing, face flushed, mind wondering how the hell Carter and I came to be making out on the piano bench. His hazel eyes were locked on mine, as if waiting for me to react, before they hardened. 

"Who knew that my sob story was such a turn on?" Carter asked with an eyebrow raised while a smirk grew on his lips.

I groaned, "You just had to ruin the moment, didn't you?"

Despite the minimal space between our bodies, it felt like there was practically a physical wall in between us. I saw the way his eyes looked more guarded than they had when he was talking about his mom, like he realized that he let his facade slip and needed to regain his hard exterior. Frustrated with his sudden mood change, I turned and got off the bench, his hand that was previously on my waist dropping to the bench with a thud.

"So you thought we were having a moment," Carter pushes, his voice thick with mocking. "Sweetheart, think again."

I turn and narrow my eyes at him. "Sorry, but is making out on a piano bench after talking about your personal life not a moment?" I shake my head and mutter, "So much for trust."

Carter narrowed his eyes at me this time, his douchebag facade fading as anger replaced his expression. "Are you seriously still saying I don't trust you, even after I just told you about my parents?"

"No," I deny, and then look dead in his eyes. "You don't trust me enough to let your guard down for longer than five minutes. You got freaked out that someone saw the real Carter, the one that actually cares, and you reverted back to acting like some arrogant asshole."

If you heard us arguing like this, you wouldn't think that we had just been kissing the living daylights out of each other. Hell, you wouldn't even think I was able to tolerate the man. But I was stubborn and forward and annoyed and angry and I couldn't help but tell him that I knew what he was doing. From the looks of it, he was pretty surprised that I actually recognized what he was doing, too.

Carter sighed, surprising me, and ran a hand through his hair. Carefully, he stood up from the piano bench, and took a cautious step closer to me. "You're right. But I did it for you."

I scoff, "You're acting like an asshole for me? That's the biggest bullshit I've ever heard."

"Well it isn't," He shoots back immediately, and turns his gaze to the piano, glaring at it again. Poor piano. "You just don't understand."

Although I wanted to hit him, I felt my resolve falter a little at the hardness in his tone. So I took a deep breath and took a step closer to him, waiting until his gaze landed on me again. When it did, I looked in between his eyes for a second, searching them.