Chapter Twenty Six

Aaaand another update! Enjoy :) Xo

********************************

Life is strange.

It's strange to think that the very boy I told myself I hated by the end of summertime was one of four friends at school that I now had. The boy who broke my heart ten times harder than Jake Sloan ever had from cheating on me was the same one who I sat with at lunch.

Granted, things weren't perfect. More often than not, I only paid attention to Wes, Joey and Georgina and disregarded Carter's presence. I was never alone with him unless we were in class together, but even then I steadily ignored his efforts at starting conversation and pretended to be too busy taking notes.

Even though I rarely spoke with Carter unless we were in our group with the other boys and Georgina, I couldn't help the way my heart beat quickened when I caught him staring at me. It was absolutely pathetic, the way my body reacted to him. Hell, it was pathetic that I even considered him one of my friends at school.

But I couldn't help it. Something always drew me in to him, and even though I kept him at an arm's length at all times, I just couldn't completely cut him off.

"Hey Amelia!" Georgina calls when she sees me, effectively pulling me out of my own whirlwind of thoughts.

I smile at her. "Hey Georgina."

Ever since we got lunch on Tuesday, Georgina and I have been hanging out a lot. And, by hanging out, I mean we eat lunch together, leave campus during our free period to get Starbucks together, and I actually regarded her in the hallway. She was sarcastic and reminded me of Poppy, so we easily got along.

"Whatcha doing hanging out here?" Georgina asks, her eyes glancing up at the sky. "It's going to rain soon.

My eyes dart to see the clouds darkening the sky as I tell her, "Waiting for the bus."

She glances at me curiously. "You don't have a car?"

"Nope," I answer sadly. "My mom's lease was up so she just took back the car she gave me for my birthday."

Which she did, at the end of last year. She told me I could get it back when she got her own car or renewed her lease, but it's been months since she took it. I miss having my own car.

"That sucks," Georgina sighs. "I'd offer you a ride, but I told my brother I would take his friends home."

I smile at her and wave her off. "I'm fine, the bus is easy. Thanks anyway."

She looks toward me to smile back at me, but her gaze gets caught on something behind me. Georgina's smile drops and is replaced by a scowl as she narrows her eyes.

"My idiot brother is climbing my car," Georgina growls, then looks at me. "I have to go hit him over the head. I'll see you tomorrow."

I laugh and wave her off, glancing behind me to see Georgina storming toward her black Jeep with a sophomore boy on the hood of the car. I lean against the bus stop booth as I watch my friend hit her brothers leg, the group of younger boys all laughing around the car.

My entertainment was short lived when thunder cracked overhead, and then raindrops began steadily falling. I frowned and looked up at the roof that still let raindrops soak my head to see multiple cracks. I crossed my arms and glanced around the road, trying to see my bus in the distance.