Chapter Thirty Nine

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile! This story will be ending very soon, so stay tuned :)

******************

Carter stayed over the rest of the afternoon to hang out. Mostly, we talked about NYU-- what it would be like to live on campus, whether or not we would end up living near each other, what kind of pranks we could get away with. But I'd be lying if we didn't take some breaks to kiss a little, too.

I never realized how much I had really missed him until we were finally together again. It was the initial surprise I felt whenever he leaned over and kissed me and reminded me that I was his, and he was mine, and there was no faking a friendship anymore. Everything was out in the open, and we were moving on. Together.

We were in the middle of one of our little breaks when I pulled my lips away from his and looked into his eyes, breathless from our kissing, and I just searched his eyes with my own. Slowly, a large grin grew on his lips as he searched mine back, and he finally breathed, "What is it, Mina?"

"I'm sorry how I treated you at the beginning of the school year, when I saw you," I tell him, the words escaping my lips without my say-so.

His smile fades a bit as his brow knits together. "Why are you sorry?"

I shrug, pulling away a little so I can look at his whole face, but my hand is still resting on his cheek. "You never meant to hurt me," I murmur softly. "And I thought that was your exact intention. I was pretty brutal to you."

Carter sits up a bit and gives me a stern look. "You didn't know," He says, just as softly, as if he wanted to be as fragile as possible. "It's okay, Amelia."

"I just feel like I wasted so much time," I admit as I look into his eyes. "I wasted so much time hating you when we could've had this again."

And then the concern leaves his face and his familiar smile stretches across his lips again and lights up his eyes. I look at him in confusion as he just grins at me. "We don't have to worry about wasting time anymore, Mina," He says with a slight laugh. "Silly girl, we have all the time in the world together now."

My heart practically exploded in my chest when I hear his words and realize that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with this boy. And as quickly as the realization came, I heard the front door open and close, and I forced myself to practically jump away from him. He chuckled at me as he ran a hand through his hair to get rid of the mess I caused when we were kissing, and I straightened out my shirt to make it less obvious what we had just been doing.

But still, I had a stupidly wide smile stretched across my lips that I knew I wouldn't be able to get rid of. Seconds later, I heard footsteps approaching, and as I turn to see my mom walking into the room, I hear another car pull up outside. I glance out the curtains and see my father's car parked in the driveway, and the drivers side door opens to reveal the man himself.

Instantly, I feel myself stiffen, and my gaze shifts to my mom. "Hi honey," She greets tentatively, and then looks at Carter. "Carter, dear, do you mind giving us a moment?"

Carter takes the cue and hops up. "I should be getting home anyway," He says with a smile. "It was nice seeing you." Then he looks at me and tosses me a playful wink. "I'll talk to you later, Mina."

His playful attitude was enough to calm my nerves a bit, and I even allow myself a smile. "I'll call you in a little."

He nods and heads to the front door, but before he's fully out of the room, I look to my mom in surprise and ask, "How did your talk go? Why is he here?"

She smirks to herself, looking quite pleased with herself, and says ominously, "I'll let him tell you himself."

I look back out the window to see Carter stopped in front of my father, who extends his hand to shake Carter's, and I feel weirdly perplexed. The other day, he told me that I wasn't welcome living in his house, and then he spent the night in a hotel. Now he was shaking my boyfriends hand and coming up the walkway to our house.