Chapter Five

The song in this story is Tainted Love by Soft Cell, go look it up! Vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter, and happy reading :)

********************

I spend the next week ignoring Carter Miller's presence. It was easy, for the most part, considering I only really saw him at night, when we snuck to Cabin 14. Besides, it didn't take much effort anyway, considering I rarely thought of his existence unless he was in front of me. So the week went on smoothly, and I got back on track with my piano lessons, rarely making errors in my work when I played. Often times I would stay later and try to continue my composition, but after the one day in the beginning of the week of inspiration, I had come to another stalemate.

By the time Friday morning came, I didn't even bother staying after my allotted lesson time, but instead walked around the camp grounds. People were milling about by now, but a lot of campers were still sleeping in, taking advantage of the flexible schedules. As I passed behind the dining hall, I heard a lot of pots and pans rustling, and then hushed whispers that sounded like fighting. I inched toward the screen door in the back of the kitchen and peeked in to get an idea of what was going on, but when my eyes landed on the culprits, I was hardly surprised.

"Stop making so much god damn noise!" Justin hisses at his brother, his eyes narrowed accusingly.

James glares back, whispering, "I'm only making noise because you pushed me, you idiot!"

Instead of answering, Justin shoves James, making him teeter back before narrowly saving himself from collapsing onto a stack of boxes. James takes a step forward and shoves his brother back, and Justin actually does fall onto his butt on the ground. He quickly shoots up and takes a step forward to retaliate, but Carter emerges from somewhere I couldn't see him and breaks it up.

"Both of you need to chill before we get caught," He says, his low voice full of authority.

They both stare at each other with a hard glare before nodding, and upon seeing their agreement to act civil, Carter lowers his hands and nods himself.

"Good. Grab a box and let's get out of here," Carter orders.

Seeing as I've been avoiding Carter all week, I thought that I would walk away. Really, I should walk away. But my curiosity wins over, and before anyone can make a move for the boxes, I open the door and step inside. All eyes snap to me and I cross my arms, raise my eyebrows, and examine their guilty expressions.

"What are you doing?" I demand, trying to project the same authority in my voice as Carter did in his.

The devil himself covered his fleeting look of nervousness with a smirk instead. "Long time no see, princess. You miss me?"

I narrow my eyes at his attempt to divert my attention. "What are in the boxes, Miller?"

He glances to the boxes James and Justin are both holding, then back to me, shrugging with a nonchalant expression. "Just some supplies. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have to go put them in our cabin."

James hurried past me before I could object, and as I turned to frown at him, Justin slipped away from the other side. I whip around and glare at Carter, who made no move to leave, but instead smirked in victory when he saw my annoyed expression. What the hell were in those boxes? My curiosity was exploding, and all the reasonable explanations- like food, or maybe even cleaning supplies?- didn't add up.

"You done staring?" Carter asks boredly, but his smirk is intact. "I know I'm good looking, but shit, you must be done by now."

My expression contorted into a scowl. "Is your ego really that big, or do you just pretend to be a douchebag?" I snap, and then take a breath. "Tell me what are in the boxes."