Chapter Twelve

Does anyone else love capture the flag??? It was my favorite game when I was younger. Anyway, enjoy the chapter and remember to vote, comment, & all that good stuff! Xo

******************************************

I woke up to the sound of an incessant ringing coming from a phone on the ground. Everyone in the cabin was groaning at the owner to shut it off immediately, including myself, and it took me a good minute to realize it was my phone making the noise. I lazily grabbed it and opened one eye to look at the caller I.D, seconds away from dismissing the call, but I stopped myself when I saw that it was my mother.

Instead, I dragged myself out of bed and out of the cabin, answering the call with a sleepy voiced, "Hello?"

There was a pause. "Amelia, why does it sound like you've just woken up? You should be awake already for your piano lesson."

I pull the phone away from my ear and see that its seven thirty in the morning, which is thirty minutes past when I normally drag myself out of bed for piano. I widen my eyes and run a hand down my face quickly, forcing my voice to be more awake and cheery when I speak next.

"Sorry, haven't talked yet today. Mrs. Brady doesn't usually come to the auditorium for another thirty minutes, so I've been alone in the auditorium for a bit." I lie easily.

As I lie, I look around at my surroundings, seeing an empty camping ground in my vision rather than the auditorium I was supposed to be in. But that was the good thing about being away at camp; my mother didn't know when I was lying or when I wasn't, if I was careful enough.

"Speaking of Mrs. Brady, she told me that you didn't practice yesterday." She says, her voice steely and full of accusation. "Why did you ask to miss practice, Amelia?"

I walk over to the fire pit and take a seat on one of the logs, sensing that this was about to be a long conversation full of lectures and possible yelling, so I might as well get comfortable. I dropped my forehead into my hand, my elbow leaning against my knee, and contemplated lying versus telling the truth.

In the end, I told the half truth. "Marcus insisted that I attend the hike they were going on yesterday, since I've been working so hard with piano. I thought it wouldn't hurt to miss one day."

"Amelia, you know very well that the only reason I let you attend that juvenile summer camp is because Martha Brady is one of the most prestigious piano teachers on the coast," My mother starts off fiercely, and then mutters under her breath, "God only knows why she would stoop to a summer camp, but that's her business," I roll my eyes; that's not the first time she's said those words. "This is not the time for you to be going on hikes just because some man who failed in every other aspect of life and had to become a camp director told you that you should go."

I clenched my fists by my side when she bashes on Marcus. Sure, being a camp director probably wasn't his ideal goal as a kid, but who cares? He was a nice man, and I was able to say that even despite the punishment he gave me for the bra incident.

"I know, mother," I say through clenched teeth, not trusting myself to say anything more.

"If I hear from Mrs. Brady that you're missing more practices, then I will not hesitate to drive up to Camp Wisataw-" I bite my tongue from correcting her. "-and bring you back home, you understand?"

When I was at home, it was difficult to comply to my parents orders, acting like it didn't affect me, but I did it. For my own sake, I pretended to be the perfect daughter, got good grades, didn't disobey them, and did what they asked. But right now, it was becoming increasingly hard to be obedient when all I wanted to do was talk back and fight with her.