Chapter Ten

Another update! Please vote, comment, & share! Xo
Enjoy :)
************************************
I spent most of the day outside. That was normal in itself, but what I really mean, is that I never went back to my cabin after I woke up for piano. I couldn't tell if it was to get my mind off of last nights events or because I wanted to spend as little time with Katie as possible, but I kept myself preoccupied all day with activities.

Poppy and I played in a badminton tournament against Teddy and Zach, then we went swimming, then made our very own mini golf course with cups as holes and wooden pallets as makeshift obstacles. We even snuck away from the guys for a few hours just to sit and talk at the Water Hole about life.

However, my favorite part of every day is when we finally go to the dining hall and get food. Can you blame me? A girls gotta eat.

"We should go hiking tomorrow morning," Poppy says as she studies the poster hanging up in the dining hall, which advertised the hiking trip. "You didn't go last time."

I glance at the flier and see that we would leave at seven, before I have piano, and shake my head. "I can't. I have practice."

She scrunches up her nose in distaste and looks at me. "You can't just skip it? Once?"

When she says this, I imagine my parents faces when they hear that I skipped piano practice, and actually cringe. I shake my head again and mutter, "Do you think my parents would be okay with that?"

Poppy waves her arms in exasperation. "You're at camp, Mina, not at home! You should be having fun, not stressing about piano every damn day!"

I smile at her passion, but still have to tell her, "In case you forgot, I'm only allowed to be here for piano."

However, this doesn't faze Poppy, just like I knew it wouldn't. When she sets her mind on something, she finds a way to get what she wants. And I had a feeling that she had officially set her sights on this hiking trip.

"You can talk to your piano teacher, what's her name? Mrs. Bradley-" She rambles.

"Mrs. Brady," I correct.

"Yeah, sure whatever, Mrs. Brady, and tell her that you're going to have to miss a day. I'm sure she'll understand, and if she doesn't, then I can have a talk with her." Poppy says with a satisfied smile.

All of this for one stupid hike? I glance at the poster again and then back at Poppy, thinking it through. I've never asked to miss practice before, nor have I ever actually missed a practice, so what harm is there in trying? Poppy was right; we were here to have a fun summer. What's the fun in waking up at seven every morning to sit in front of a piano, without just one day off?

"Okay," I concede with a small smile. "I'll talk to her."

Poppy claps her hands together and grins brightly at me. "That's the spirit! Now come on, let's eat. I'm starving."

I drag myself over to the food line, my arms still sore from our six and a half mile kayak expedition today. Our whole cabin went in a flurry of excitement, and when we came back, everyone was sluggish in their movements, tired from the hours spent on the lake. I shuffled in line, filling my plate with as much food as it could hold, and then collapsed onto a bench by the corner table.

Poppy joined me at the table a few minutes later, where our cabin was gathered and discussing boys. I didn't listen to most of the conversation, but just nodded a few times to act like I was, and instead let my mind wander elsewhere. I was thinking about last night and how dumb I had acted out of impulse, and how grossed out I felt every time I looked at Brad.