Chapter 2 - A Ride With Him

I held Matthew’s hand as I supported him through our house. Our house was so simple looking. It looked like the normal, traditional house. We walked towards our sliding door with ease; Matthew jumped in the red, velvet traditional style couch and I started washing my hands.

‘What do you want for dinner?” I asked Matthew.

“I want some pancakes” He said, while he wipes the chocolate away from his face.

“You can’t have pancakes for dinner” I said as I brushed some oil in the pan. I was going to cook fried chicken. He loved my fried chicken; I put in a secret ingredient so that it can taste better. What’s the secret ingredient? It wouldn’t be secret anymore if I tell you, right?

“But I want pancakes!” He whined.

“I’m cooking fried chicken; I already put some oil in the pan.” I said as I started marinating a chicken thigh.

“No! I want pancakes! If James was here, he would cook me some. I hate you!” He says as he stands up.

My blood started to boil. I didn’t like the feeling of being compared to a devil. Even though I was mature enough to just suck it in and don’t care about it, I still babbled while marinating the rest of the chicken;

“Then go and live with him then!” I almost screamed. I heard some sniffs and some sobs. I realized what I have done. But before I could say sorry, Matthew made his way upstairs. I looked down and held back a tear, I heard the pan crackling and I realized the oil was squirting everywhere. I stood up and I felt some oil attacking me.

Ouch! I went directly to the sink and started to pour in some cold water. Just as I was drying them up, the door opened and mom walked in feeling restless. Mom looked like a total mom; high waist pants, long sleeved polka dotted blouse, and white flats. She works for a law firm. 

“Hey there, honey. Where’s Matthew?” She asked as she takes off her shoes and puts it in the shoe rack not so far from the sofa.

“Upstairs. I uhm...kind of… made him cry.” I said looking down as I got 2 of the chicken legs and placed them in the pan. I covered the pan with its lid and turned around to see mom looking at me with a what-did-you-do-this-time look.

“Honey, you should really try not to argue with your brother.” She says as she walks towards me.

“But I’m not arguing with him, it just kind of slipped out of my tongue.” I reasoned as I sat down on one of the dining chairs, waiting for the chicken to have a golden brown color.

“You always say that as an excuse.” She says as she goes upstairs to change. It was hard for me to have a younger brother. We had an age gap of 10 years. It was hard for me, because I was always the “only child” but at the same time, I’m also pretty proud to be an older sister. It makes me order people around. (I have such bad intentions)

Just as my mom was starting to lecture about me being a lady and stuff like that, dad suddenly walked in, talking to someone in his ear piece phone thingy. You know the one used by “professionals”? I actually thought it was pretty weird. When they use it, it makes them look like their talking to themselves.

“Cancel my meeting for tomorrow, to next week, okay Leah? I’ll call you as soon as I get done with the project.” He clicked his phone and faced us.

“So, what’s for dinner?”  Dad had these cute wrinkles. He looked like an actor. I don’t get why I didn’t inherit anything from my parents. It was like my family was perfect. They’re all so perfect….except for me. I spared a glance on our family picture.

I was the only one who looked like I don’t belong. With my glasses and with my retainers, I looked like Ugly Betty; but she’s more attractive than me. He owned a hotel; The Golden State hotel. It was not ours, it was my dad’s. Well technically, it’s ours.