Chapter 7 - Me, Being A Complete Suspense Maker

“Let’s do this.” He muttered, confidently. He placed his hands on top of the desk. He took out his Science textbook and flipped it open. He stopped at a folded page. He unfolded it and repositioned the textbook in my direction. He pushed the book lightly towards me.

“Okay, this is my homework. I’ll be downstairs playing GTA if you need me.” He stood up and was about to leave the room. But I stood up and folded my arms.

“No Mister Smarty pants, you’re staying right here with me.” I started searching my bag and found our contract. I took it out and showed him that he wasn’t supposed to just “play video games” while I work my rear end off.  If you’re figuring on how he even accepted this offer and even added his signature on it, it’s because he wasn’t reading the Terms and Regulations page. I mean, why in the world would you even sign papers that you don’t even know why you signed it? Yeah, he’s that smart.  But when we were young, I was the one who needed tutoring. Not him. And now he’s acting like he needs to be taught again. Where was the boy who loved to watch Barney? Where was the guy who had a crush on Minnie Mouse? Where was the James I know? But I can’t wait for him. I just have to suck it in and move on.

I waited for his reaction but I was shocked on what he did. He quickly walked towards me and snatched the stapled contract out of my hand. He tore it in half waiting for my reaction.

“Well, the contract’s over. See you tomorrow.” He says as he looks at me with a smirk. I smirked back.

“I was thinking you would do that, “I said as I pulled out a copy from my bag. I smiled. “I came in prepared.” He looked at me with terrified eyes and cursed silently.

“Are there many of those?” He asked.

“Yes, and if you want the total amount there are twenty-two copies in my room.”

He cursed again.

I smiled and sat down. I flipped open my textbook and opened the previous lesson. I looked up from my book and saw that James was already in front of me. He looked at his wall clock and sighed.

I looked at him lightly. “So, what topic do you want to go first?” I asked him, shivering because of the coldness.

“You pick. You’re the tutor.” He says obviously uninterested. I recon this dude actually had proper tutoring. And if he had, I doubt it was serious tutoring.

“Do you want to study about Science?” I said while looking down at his book, smiling. His answers were so goofy. I looked up and saw that he wasn’t even listening. He looked like Matthew when I was teaching him on how to subtract. He was looking outside the window, the sunrays touching his copper hair. His eyes were reflected by the light. That’s when I remembered something.

I remembered when he said I was like the sun. The sun is the nearest star to Earth; and I was the most nearest in his heart.  I smiled at the memory. That was the time when James was as innocent and as pure as cotton. But now, he’s as dirty and sneaky as a rat. My smile faded almost automatically, which slapped me back to reality.

He tapped his pen impatiently and started whistling. I flipped a page and saw that the topic was all about the Nervous System. Perfect. I thought. This was as easy as pie. There is no way he can’t get this. We have been discussing this since sixth grade. There is no possible way he can forget this.

I clucked my tongue and started talking. “So, we are going to talk about the nervous system. The Nervous system’s job is to monitor and control the functions of the different organ systems,” I started. He sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. He looks so bratty with his eyes full of dullness and exasperation.