Chapter 9

"Holly?". Dan tapped me on the shoulder, making me jump. "Sorry. Are you ok? You seem a little bit jumpy lately."

Me and Dan were studying in the library together and I guess I zoned out. It's been a week since school started and everyday I get texts saying to stay away from Dan. How could I stay away from Dan? He's not hurting anybody and he was Nick's best friend.

"ummm...yeah. I'm fine." I said, going back to reading a chapter in my textbook. Dan slid the book away from me and closed it.

"You're not fine. Holly, tell me what's wrong. I'm really worried about you."

Then I saw HIM out of the corner of my eye. Blade had just come into the library, making his rounds n the first floor. He smiled at me. I quickly turned away and Dan gave me a suspicious look. I took my textbook back and packed up all my things.

"Umm I have to go. I'll see you later." and then I rushed out of the library.

"Holly. Wait!" Dan called. I stopped and turned around.

"Yeah?"

"Youre acting strange. Does it have something to do with that security guard?" he asked, concerned.

I shook my head. "No. Nothing.". I kept looking at the library doors, afraid of Blade walking through those doors.

"Then why do you keep looking at the library, like a monster is going to come out?"

"Dan i-" I started to say, but he cut me off.

"Stop looking at the library and look at me. Tell me the truth, Holly. I can hel-" Then Dan was interrupted by the security guard.

"Is everything alright here? Is this guy bothering you, Holly?" Blase asked, going into protective mode.

"N-no. H-he's not" I stuttered.

Dan gave me a look, meaning that he knew it had something to do with Blade.

"Then you two better get back to class then."

"Yes we should, sir. Come on, Holly.". Dan pulled me away and towards the cafeteria. We had lunch this period, but thought the library was a better place to hang out. When we got to the cafeteria, we sat at an empty table. Dan sat directly next me and led my hand in his. "Holly, it does have something to do with that security guard. Now tell me the truth. I can help you."

I though for a few minutes. Should I tell Dan the truth? What if Blade kills him too? Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. Dan wiped them away with his thumb. "Holly" he said softly. And then he leaned in and kissed me. At first I was frozen, but then a started to kiss him back. I moved my lips with his and I never wanted it to end. We pulled away at the same time. "sorry. I probably shouldn't have done that."

"It's fine. I kinda liked it." I admitted.

"Really?"

I nodded my head and smiled shyly.

"I did too. " then he paused. "Is it too soon to ask you to be my girlfriend? I know you were my best friend's girlfriend...but you know...maybe this is what Nick would want. I'm sure he would want you to be happy again. I mean, if you don't want to its no biggie. I mean-" he was saying, but i kissed him to shut him up.

"I would love to be your girlfriend...but I can't.". I looked down sadly.

He lifted my head back up. "Why can't you?"

I looked at him sadly. "I don't want you to end up like Nick."

"What do you mean? That security guard has something to do with it, doesn't he?."