Chapter twenty two

Hayley's POV

It's been two weeks, two weeks of nothing but reminders of Christopher. I've barely seen him around school. The only times he's seen by anyone is gym time. I feel guilty, really. I shouldn't have been that selfish;worrying about my own needs instead of his. The more I think back on that moment, the more guilt washes over me. In all honesty, I would love to be his Luna, more than anything but at the same time, I have dreams that are just too good to go to waste

I'm not saying I regret making the decision. The only thing I regret is being the cause of the constant sadness Christopher feels. The mate bond doesn't make the situation any better but rejecting him is not an option, at all.

"Hayley." My vision clears out as I come face to face with Mrs. Mathews. "I'm sorry, what?" I ask, confused with what's going on. "I asked you for the answer to problem number two." She says in a monotone voice. That says a lot for her. Usually, she yells and punishes anyone that doesn't pay attention. My mind boggles for the right answer but I can't seem to think of any logical response to her question. I shrug my shoulders and lower my eyes, feeling slightly embarrassed.

I quickly dash out of the room and head for my locker once the bell rings. Grabbing my gym bag, I make my way towards the girl's changing rooms and settle at one of the corners, hoping know one will notice me. I shiver slightly from the cold air conditioning in the gym while slipping on my black t-shirt.

"Well look who it is, little miss alpha's brat." A strangely familiar nasally voice screeches. I turn, only to come face to face with Monica and her little squad. "What, are we deaf now?" I stare blankly at her and start to walk out of the locker rooms. She roughly grabs my shoulder and pushes me back. I stumble slightly but regain my balance. "Oh hell no! Just let me take over." Serena growls in agitation, her anger builds even more while my attitude remains at bay. "No, not today." I calmly state and block the link before she can do anything drastic. I force my arm out of Monica's tight grip, sending her a warning look before walking out of the changing rooms.

***

I avoid any form of contact with Carson, not feeling comfortable with his heated gaze. His eyes burn the side of my face, with every intention of getting a response from me. He'd been trying to mind link me a few days after his 'confession' but I blocked him out, along with the rest of the pack. Ever time father brought up my strange behavior around Carson, I would simply shrug it off.

The bell rings, bringing yet another long and boring lesson to an end. Carson walks carefully behind me, being cautious on the amount of distance between us. I would do something about it but at this point, I'd rather ignore it and end my day without any drama. I come to a halt as I take in the sight before me. A hard lump settles at the back of my throat as I will myself not to show any emotion.

Christopher's POV

I blur out all the voices around the hallway as I zero in on the locker across from mine. Hayley's locker. My fingers twitch with anger as my gaze drops to the floor. I'm not mad because of what she said, not entirely that is. I'm mad at myself for scaring her. The image of her terrified expression plays back in my head, her hazel eyes sparkle with tears as others run freely down the soft skin on her cheeks. The way her lower lip quivered from fear, like a small helpless child. Xavier growls at me from the memory. It's all he's been doing ever since Hayley walked away.

I feel a presence besides me as I tune back to reality. The squeaky voice getting even louder, sensing my lack of attention. She rubs my arm and rambles on on some useless feud on her Twitter page. I role my eyes and turn my head in the other direction as the door to the physics lab opens. A few unfamiliar faces pass by before the one person I've been dying to hold in my arms comes into view. She looks sad, almost defeated. Her strides are a lot slower than they usually are. Hey black sweater loosely on her small frame, exposing her right shoulder. The infamous glint of happiness is completely lost from her features. Her hair remains bouncy and as full as ever, but doesn't seem to compliment the rest of her appearance.

A pair of over glossed lips suddenly press against mine, mere seconds after Hayley and I make eye contact. Disgust immediately fills in me as I push Monica away, my jaw clenching as Xavier begins pushing through, wanting to take over. My eyes frantically search for Hayley but she seems to have disappeared. I growl menacingly at Monica as she begins to cower away from me in fear. I raise my hand, as though I am going to hit her but simply wipe my mouth. I glare at her even more as she gives me a questioning look. "Never do that ever again." My voice deepens , with her shrinking even more below my towering frame. Turning away abruptly, I begin my search for Hayley, hoping she'll let me explain what happened.

AN

I finally get to update. The chapter isn't as long as some of the previous ones are sadly. I would've added more content to the scenes but didn't have enough time. I might be updating the next chapter by tomorrow (emphasis on might, I'm not making any promises).

So school started... It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be so i'll just keep an open mind.

Anywho, that was the chapter. Until then