The Alphas ✔

Chapter 3

"So... can I?" I question Derek the following morning. The two guys helped me bring Cora and Boyd back to Derek's loft. Cora and I slept in the spare room, while Boyd left earlier.

"Why do you even want to go to school?" He puts the book, he was reading, down on the table before looking up into my eyes. "You used to hate school, remember?"

"I still do." I cross my arms over my chest. "But I went to school back in South America and I don't really want to repeat that again."

"Alright." He breathes standing up from his seat and going to fetch his jacket off the bed. "What about Cora?"

"Definitely not," I laugh. "The last thing she wants to do is more work." I still remember all the times she tried to sneak her way into copying my homework or using any excuse she could to leave school early.

"And you do?" He smirks.

"It beats sitting around and doing nothing the whole day," I answer, with a shrug. He leads me outside to his black car. I sit in silence while he drives. I don't really know what to say to him. It's been over six years. What do you say to someone who you haven't seen in so long?

"Thanks again for last night." I blurt out.

"What?" He furrows his brows, he glances at me.

"For helping me gain control." I turn to look at him. "You always knew how to help me."

"I was just passing on my knowledge." He says after a while. "I struggled with it as well, as you know."

"You mean Uncle Peter's knowledge." I smile out of the window. "What happened to Uncle Peter? Is he still alive?"

"Sadly." He sighs his eyes darkening.

"What do you mean 'sadly'?" I furrow my brows.

"It's a... long story." He glances over at me. It's silent for a while as I drift around in my thoughts.

What could Uncle Peter have done? He's one of the only family members I have left. I don't even know who else survived besides him, Derek, Cora, and I... Back when I was at home, Uncle Peter was someone I could always count on. He helped us multiple times on a full moon... what happened?

"Nina." Derek brings me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah." I turn my head back to him.

"Um... what happened to you?" He hesitates.

"Do I look that bad?" I laugh, smelling a strand of my chocolate hair.

"Your eyes." He keeps his own fixed on the road. "What happened to your eyes." My body stiffens knowing full well what he is talking about. I turn my gaze out the window again.

"Are we there yet?" I ask suddenly, still not meeting his eyes. He glances at me for a few seconds before replying.

"Almost." We drive in silence for a few more minutes until he stops the car outside the school. I go to open the door but he grabs my arm. "Look, if you don't wanna talk about it now I understand. But just know that when you're ready, I'm always here."

"Thank you, Derek."