Bus Journey ✔

Chapter 5

Derek's dead...

That doesn't sound right. That doesn't feel real... nothing feels real. Derek was just here with me. I finally got him back in my life after six years...six whole years and it only took a few seconds for him to be gone. For him to fall-

bang

I squeeze my eyes shut as the sound replays in my head over and over.

Derek's dead

I never got a chance to tell him what he means to me. How thankful I am for him...what was the last thing I said? I can't even remember if I said goodbye...

"Nina?" Scott pats my shoulder. "You okay?" I lift my chin off the headrest and turn to look at him.

"I'm fine." I try to smile but I know it wasn't one.

"Anachronism." Stiles says looking at his tablet. He looks up and notices both me and Scott staring at him. "What?"

"What you guys doing?" I ask setting the back of my head against the bus window, keeping my legs bent to my chest.

"I'm helping Scott study for the PSATs." Stiles looks back to his tablet before returning his gaze to Scott sitting next to him. "The next word... Anachronism"

"Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott answers.

"Nice." Stiles scrolls on his tablet. "Okay, next word incongruous,"

"Um, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott scrunches his eyes up.

Is he still hurt?

"Yes, yes I can," Stiles says. "It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross country meet after what just happened. Incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect," Stiles says, "Okay, next word. Umm, Darach." Scott whips his gaze to Stiles. "Darach, it's a noun."

"Really, Stiles." I roll my eyes. That's one way to do it at least.

"We have to talk about it sometime, okay?" He exclaims. "And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for like five hours. Why not?" Scott rests his head against the window, without saying anything. I tap the glass next to his face lightly.

"You okay?" I whisper scanning his face. "Are you still hurt?"

"Next word." Stiles says while clearing his throat. "Intransigent." Scott nods slightly at me before turning to look at Stiles.

"Stubborn, obstinate." Scott says, with scrunched eyes. The bus suddenly jerks forward causing me to knock the back of my head against the window. Scott groans in front of me clutching his side.

"Oh, buddy, you okay?" Stiles asks, looking over at Stiles. Scott scrunches up his face.

"He's obviously in a lot of pain, Stiles." I say rubbing my head.

"We shouldn't have come." Stiles says, raising a finger. "I knew it. We shouldn't have come."

"We had to." Scott opens his eyes. "There's safety in numbers."

"Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay?" Stiles counters, scrolling through his tablet. "It's called a massacre or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow, that's-" Scott groans again.

"Alright Scott, I'm telling coach that-" Stiles begins.

"No, no, no, no." Scott stops him. "I'm alright."