Chapter 44

Uploaded on 18/03/17

Edited: 31/12/17

I couldn't believe that Ashley had a gun. Just what was he prepared to do with it.

I followed him out of the room, holding onto my stomach, feeling the baby move inside me.

"Ashley, wait!" I called out to him. His father came to walk beside me, holding out his arm for me to place my hand on his elbow.

"Leave him. He will get to the bottom of this." Vivienne advised walking ahead of us.

I pressed my lips tight together into a flat line. I don't believe that Ashley is a murderer.

We walked into the room. All the heads turned toward us. Conversation stopped upon our arrival.

Ashley was already in the room talking to Casey in the corner. She was gesturing furiously in Cameron direction.

Cameron seemed oblivious to them as he was sipping on his flute of champagne as he texted away on his cell phone.

I sat down on an empty seat near the head of the table that always seemed reserved for me now.

Alfred came walking into the room, tapping a metal triangle that made a loud ding.

"Dinner will be served." He announced.

There was no need for me to get up. Ashley came to sit opposite me at the table whilst his mother and Casey sat either side of me, and his father was seated at the head of the table.

Cameron sat down when his parents and sister Sarah walked into the room. They were seated at the other end of the table. Sarah smiled and waved over at me when she sat down next to Casey. I noticed that her older brother was not with them.

I sat there in awkward silence, twiddling my thumbs under the table on top of my rounded stomach.

"What is the meaning of this emergency meeting, Jasper?" John, Cameron father asked.

Jasper was saved from answering as three butlers came with trays ready to serve the food.

He waited for them all to leave, but Alfred who stood tall by the door observing the whole situation should he be needed.

Looking down at my plate, I noticed that they skipped the entreé and went straight to the main, which was half roast chicken with potatoes, greens, yams, tomatoes.

"You name it," Jasper said, looking at his brother folding a napkin on his lap. "There are plenty of things we need to talk about. Starting with the bugging of my god damn house."

Vivienne scooped some mash to place it on my plate. "You need to eat up, darling. You are eating for two."

I began eating slowly whilst my eyes were on Ashley his hands were above the table.

He really wouldn't shoot his cousin, would he?

I thought on the maid on how she died, and they all covered it up. All in the name of the family.

Alfred stood by the door dressed immaculately in his butler uniform. I wonder who is looking after Brandon. I doubt he would be able to escape being tied up in the red room.

John looked outraged. "I have never bugged your house."

Cameron looked shocked. "I can't believe that you would accuse my father or something like that."

Sarah and her mother, whose name I had forgotten, nodded, agreeing what Cameron just said.

"We have proof," Ashley said, cutting up his chicken and then chewing it slowly.