Thirty- Four: System

Jenna clung to my arm as we made our way into the Specters' clubhouse.

Jack, Boomer, Troy and the guys they'd taken with them hadn't long returned from scouting out the town and putting out the word to allies that Bonnie had been kidnapped.

It was more chaotic than normal, more people than I remembered ever being there at one time.  I was relieved to see that most of our girls were there as well, mingling with everyone.  Now that Lucas had taken Bonnie, what would stop him from grabbing any of the others?  He'd done it before, all those years ago, and I was sure he'd do it again.  The thought had my stomach churning.

The smell of bacon and eggs and coffee wafted from the stove behind the bar, where the Queen and a few others were cooking, piling food onto plates for everyone.

I saw Katy approaching us from where she'd been talking with Amity, Ricky and Kelly, smiling sympathetically.

She put her arms around Clyde, holding onto him, tightening her grip when he returned the hug, nuzzling into her shoulder.

She brushed away a lock of hair that fell into his face as he pulled away, her eyes full of concern.

"You look like shit, babe," she told him, studying his face.  "Have you even slept yet?"

"Would you have?"  He wondered, and I only just realized how exhausted and stressed he actually looked, his face pinched and strained, dark shadows beneath his eyes.

"Have you guys eaten?"  She wondered, turning to me, and I shook my head.

"We came straight here," I admitted and Katy nodded.

"If you want to go sit in the lounge out the back, where it's quiet, I'll bring you guys food," she offered.  "The guys who went out last night are asleep in a couple of the rooms, though, where it's quiet."

I smiled gratefully, slapping Clyde's back and lead the way into the lounge, walking quietly so as not to wake the others.  None of us spoke, but, then, what was there to talk about?  I think we all appreciated the peace and quiet, or, at least I know I did.  I could feel the begining of a headache building up behind my eyes.

There was a light tap at the door, and Amity, Katy and Kelly came in, setting down plates of food and a pot of coffee on the table between us.

"Eat up, hun," Amity told Clyde, squeezing his shoulders gently.  "We're going to need all this man power of yours, since us girls aren't even aloud to leave the building to go kick ass."

Clyde smiled gratefully and nodded.

"Feel better, okay, babe," Katy told him, kissing his cheek, then turned to me, placing her hand on my shoulder.  "We're just out there, if you need us."

"Thanks, guys," I told them as they left.

I didn't really taste the food, but I was starving, and ate quickly.  Once again, Clyde picked at it with disinterest, but Jenna somehow managed to coax him to finish it all, and, when we were done, I gathered up the dirty dishes to wash.

"How's Clyde?"  Katy wondered, joining me as I stacked the piles of dirty plates and mugs into the dishwasher.

"Making himself sick with worry," I told her truthfully.  "He won't sleep, or eat... I've never seen him like this."

"I can't blame him," Katy said, crossing her arms and frowning.  "God, I can only imagine what he must be going through."

"And what she's going through," I muttered, feeling sick, myself, at the thought of what was happening to Bonnie.