Thirty- Five: Empty

I found Jenna in the lounge when the meeting ended, hiding away from the noise and chaos.  She smiled when she saw me, standing up from the couch and came toward me.  She stood on her toes to kiss me as I wrapped my arms around her waist.

I explained the plan to her, that The Devil's Riders would watch the warehouse we thought Bonnie was being held, to make sure that nothing changed, and follow along if anything did.

"And," I hesitated a moment, looking away from her, swallowing hard.  "Beast wants us to meet with Lucas."

"But?" she wondered, picking up on my agitation.

"But... he wants us to give you up."

I felt her tense up in my arms, her breath catching as she looked up at me.  I forced myself to meet her eyes, expecting her to beg, or cry or something, but she looked determined, almost defiant, her green eyes flashing.

"If that's what it takes."

"You don't have to do this," I told her firmly.  "I can hide you-"

"I know you told me that it isn't my fault," she said, cutting me off, "but, if he'll let Bonnie go, for me, then I'll go to him."

I tried to argue, but she shook her head, not listening.

Eventually, I gave up, and Jenna and I left the lounge, and made our way back into the main part of the clubhouse. We joined Clyde, where he was standing with Jack and Troy, not contributing to their conversation.

I saw Beast across the room, and he caught my eye, motioning me over.

"I'll be back in a minute," I murmured in Jenna's ear.

She nodded and stood with Clyde, watching me as I made my way across the club room to join Beast.

"Got a minute?"

I nodded, following him into the office.

"I'm taking it you talked to your dad?"  He began, taking a seat.

"Something like that," I answered, still standing.

"I didn't mean for that to happen to your sister," he told me.  "I loved her like a daughter, she wasn't supposed to get hurt."

"But she did," I reminded him.  "And, because o0f that, my dad's spent my entire life in jail, my mum remarried..."

"And if I could take it back, then I would," he said firmly.  "I want to make up for it.  That's why I'm giving you soldiers to go to war with this prick."

"Or," I said, crossing my arms, "you want to wipe out the competition."

"The thought crossed my mind," he admitted.  "But I know you like that blonde, and I know she adores you."

"I don't want to give her up," I told him firmly.

"I'm not going to make the same mistake," he promised me.  "We're prepared for this.  Last time..."

He trailed off, looking grim.

"Last time what?"  I pressed.

"Last time," he said, lowering his voice, "when that woman come to us for help and I convinced her to sell her daughter to Lucas, the club voted against it."

"You went behind their backs?"  I guessed.

"I trailed him myself, but I had no one to back me, and I lost her."

I froze, staring at him in disbelief.  Of all the terrible things Beast had done, the things I knew about as well as the ones I didn't, that woukd be by far the worst.