Chapter 11 - Secrets And Lies

Winter sunlight filtered through the curtains and across the bed, the dull rays of sun crossing over her face as she lay there. She felt warm, comfortable. As she became more aware, she realised she had an arm around her waist, a hand in hers and a second hand holding her head, fingers entwined in her hair. The pillow wasn't a pillow, it was his chest, and Lexie could feel his heartbeat as it rose and fell. Unable to help herself, she snuggled in to him, making a contented sound as the hand in her hair moved to run over the locks of hair instead of through them.

"Morning, Sweetheart," said his voice, still laced with sleep. "Sleep well?"

"Mmm, yeah. You?" she asked, making herself sit up and wiping her eyes.

"I did." He replied as she sat upright, pulling her knees up to her chin. "Something wrong?" Lexie shook her head, but he could tell she was troubled. "You're regretting last night already?"

"No, no I'm not, honestly, I'm not." She replied hurriedly, black hair flying out as she shook her head. "It's just...now what? Do we go back to how we were?"

"You mean wanting to kill each other?" he asked with a smirk. "Well, that depends."

"On what?"

"If you want more mornings waking up like this, more nights like last night? Then no, we don't go back to killing each other." He said, forcing himself to sit up also now. "But if last night truly meant nothing to either of us, we'll go back to how we were. If it was a mistake, well, it will never happen again. But I think we both know it wasn't a mistake, was it?" he asked as Lexie continued to look troubled. "What's wrong, Lexie?" She opened her mouth to speak, paused and tried again, obviously marshalling her thoughts before speaking.

"All this time...I hated you, I hated everything you were. At least...I thought it was hate." She replied, her brow furrowed as she thought about the matter at hand. "And now, you're telling me...telling me that last night wasn't entirely because of the alcohol, that it wasn't entirely a drunken mistake? You can see why I'm a little confused this morning." She said, looking over at Undertaker as he smiled softly at her.

"And I thought you hated me too, and I hated you. You drove me up the wall, so many times. I wanted to do nothing more than wring your neck on several occasions, of which I'm sure you are aware. I didn't even give any thought to the fact it might be something other than hatred I was feeling for you, and you for me. But last night, well, you showed me anything but hate." He said, his hand taking hers. "I know you said you were heading home after Christmas Day, but...stay a while longer, stay till New Year. Then head to RAW with me. Let's make sure what happened last night wasn't a one off, that something was there."

"And if it isn't?" she asked, looking at their clasped hands. "If we're back to wanting to kill each other?"

"Then I'll let you have your screen time alone for the next month. Hell, I'll even take a Sheild beating on screen. I don't want to regret this, Lexie, and I'm damn sure you don't either."

"You won't hold it against me, our history? Because, y'know, that's a lot of crap we put each other through." She replied. He gave her a feral grin.

"As long as you don't try to beat the crap outta me with a metal pole again I think we're good." He said, and watched as Lexie turned a shade of red that would have made Kane proud.

"Did you have to bring that up?" she said with a scowl that didn't reach her eyes.

"Not really, but it was worth it."

"Asshole," she said, before Undertaker got a pillow to the face.

The rest of the holidays passed in a blur. Christmas Day saw them exchange gifts, Undertaker in hysterics as he unwrapped a box with a turd polishing kit inside. The message wasn't lost on Undertaker, he was well aware she was saying he was full of shit. Lexie was apologising so fast he wondered if she was allowing herself to breathe.