Chapter 15 - As You Were

A day passed, then two. By the third day, Undertaker wondered if he had done the right thing, or if what he had done was the worst mistake in the history of ever. She had neither begged for a chance to talk, nor threatened to bludgeon him to within an inch of his life. Which to be honest, was what he had expected. It had been three days of silence. Not a word beyond the odd civil yes or no. Roman of course had seen fit to punch him in the mouth as soon as he walked in to the locker room. Undertaker recalled the loud exclamations of shock.

"What the fuck, Roman?!" Randy Orton had exclaimed. Undertaker did nothing but checked his jaw by moving it side to side.

"He knows what he did." Roman snarled, anger alight in the mans eyes that many had never seen. It was evenly matched by the looks in the eyes of Seth and Dean, and the three left the locker room, roughly shoving past the future hall of famer.

Hunter too had some choice words for him that evening. Frequent repetitions of "What the fuck were you thinking?" along with "You stupid idiot" and "What the hell's come over you?" took up much of the time they talked, and the third day saw him going to bed with an uneasy mind.

When he reached the arena on the fourth day, he had more reason to be worried than ever before. Lexie had found out that Roman had punched him, and was currently being pulled off Roman by Seth and Dean as she rained down blows upon him. He was heading over to stop her too, when Hunter stuck out an arm from an adjoining corridor.

"Oof...the fuck, Hunter?" he managed as he was yanked in to the corridor. Threats of violence spewed from Lexie's lips as she was being held back by the boys. "Why aren't you doing something about this?"

"One, if anyone should do anything, it's you. You fucked up and created this mess. Two, she will calm down in a minute or so, I know her well enough by now. And three, this is zero to do with work. If it was an issue at work, I would deal with it. An issue affecting the company, etc. But you have all been carrying out your roles with professionalism and conduct, and I can't very well give your now ex a bollocking because she defended you."

"She what?" Undertaker looked at his friend as if he had lost his mind.

"Yes, you heard me. She defended you. She found out he punched you, verbally ripped him a new one, Roman made it worse, and she went for him. I am NOT getting involved in this, except to tell you a thousand fold you're a stupid idiot."

When she waited at the curtain that night, he could almost feel the anger coming off her. He decided it would be a good idea to try clear the air.

"Lexie... are you going to talk to me?"

"There's nothing to talk about." He could feel the anger in her voice and it alarmed him a little.

"Maybe I was wrong to say we couldn't talk..." he carried on warily and found himself cut off abruptly when she span round, the furious anger on her face making it clear she wasn't about to be messed with.

"Damn fucking right you were. All I fucking wanted from you was your approval, that the best in the business thought I was good at what I do, at what I am capable of. I didn't WANT to fall in love with you, I didn't want your heart. But you just...took mine... and I can't deny it's got me wondering if you slept with me just because you knew you could do it. You never wanted to train me in the first place. Might as well make it enjoyable, right?" Lexie hissed at him.

"Oh god no...that's not what I wanted at all, that's not what it is..." He began, a feeling like ice creeping across his heart.

"I am going to go out there, do my job, and then kick the living shit out of you as many times as I damn well please till you feel the same kind of pain I am feeling right now." She said, before turning around, and walking out to his music. Hunter was right...I am a stupid idiot.