Chapter 12 - Play It Carefully

"So I take it I'm not in the Rumble?" They were heading to the arena that would hold the fabled event. Lexie had spoken little throughout the drive so far, her mind elsewhere. Undertaker had been seconds away from asking what was wrong himself, so was glad she had spoken.

"Truthfully, I don't know. I've not been given any indication that Vince wants you in it, or if he doesn't." He glanced over at Lexie as she looked out the car window. "You seem oddly resigned to not being in the rumble." He added, noticing the look on her face, and found himself a little concerned.

"Makes sense. I'm still new blood, aren't I? And what's to say I won't have a part in your Wrestlemania storyline? I mean, the whole being your apprentice thing, it would make sense, right? Can't say I'd be too happy about that though." She added as they pulled up at a red light.

"You wouldn't?" Undertaker looked at her puzzled. "Surely that would be a career highlight, being involved with your idol's storyline?" he asked, with a teasing grin. Lexie shook her head with a laugh and playfully punched his shoulder. "Ow...oh you broke my arm....I can't possibly drive..." he said with a mock pain filled face.

"Arse," she replied with a laugh as the lights changed.

"Come on then, what's the reasoning behind not wanting to share the stage with your man?" he asked. He was surprised as she explained her thoughts that she seemed to really have thought about it quite a bit. Lexie explained as they drove, that she figured involving her in his storyline would be a bad idea. Firstly, she had decided that she was too new to be involved in such an important storyline, regardless of if she was working with him already or not. Wrestlemania storylines were a whole level above every other story. Secondly, it would be easy to see that they would be seeing each other, there was no way either of them wanted it public knowledge yet. It could have a serious effect on their careers if the info was out there before they were ready to deal with it. And thirdly, whoever Undertaker faced at Wrestlemania would be looking for an edge, however small, to put them in the running to end his streak. And if they found out the pair of them were an item, having her ringside would be disastrous. He had to hand it to her, Undertaker decided. She had really, really thought this through. And he found he couldn't argue with almost all of it, except for one point.

"You know, regardless of if you and I get discovered or not, you're going to have to be ringside at Mania. I mean, we're in a serious, long term storyline here. There's likely no way you'll get out of being ringside. Which will put you in a dangerous spot anyway. What's to say whoever faces me won't try and use you to get me disqualified?" he asked.

"That's why I'm not coming ringside." She replied. "It's too dangerous." She watched as he nodded his agreement.

"And if you get ordered ringside?"

"I'll have to invent some kind of excuse NOT to be ringside. I'm too much of a liability for your streak for me to be ringside." She said, looking over at him.

"You know Vince might insist upon it, right?" Lexie frowned. She hadn't thought about that.

"And you can't exactly disobey Vince McMahon, can you?" she said, with a horrible realisation that The Undertaker was totally right, and there was very little she could do if he was to demand she accompany Undertaker ringside. "I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it."

Getting to the arena, as usual the pair separated and Lexie headed to change. She found Paige and AJ in the locker room already.

"Things have gotten better between you two in the past month huh?" Paige asked as the three changed.

"Yeah. I suppose I should thank Jericho for making us talk, instead of wanting to kick the crap out of each other. We're at a good place right now." Lexie replied.