Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sarina knocked softly on Nova's bedroom door. Nova had been in here for hours. Seth would be here any moment and Nova still wasn't ready. "Nova?" she called as she opened the door. Her mouth dropped when she spotted her sister.

"You look beautiful! Where did you get that outfit?" Sarina's mouth was still hanging open as she looked at her sister. Nova was dressed in a tan sheer sundress and a cute strappy heels. Her overcoat was a thin shawl that belonged to their mother. Sarina had to quickly wipe her eyes from her tears. Nova looked just like their mom.

"I went to Norma's consignment shop on the corner of Elm, and I found it. Pretty huh?" she said checking herself in the mirror one last time.

"Yes, very." She nodded enthusiastically. "Are you nervous?"

"Nervous about what?" Nova turned to look at her sister.

Sarina rolled her eyes, "About going on your first date?"

"This is not a date! This is a mutual interest in art. That's all" Nova denied.

"Yeah, ok, whatever! I'm not buying so stop selling it." She crossed her arms.

Nova was excited. Despite what she said to her sister, she was very nervous. She had thought about this night for days. Seth had shown to be the complete opposite of the jerk she once thought of him to be. He walked her to classes, carried her bags and held open doors for her. He seemed almost otherworldly with his manners. He was the most amazing guy she had ever met. It's too good to be true she thought, Nobody is that perfect. As she thought of him, her heart accelerated and a small buzz hummed over her.

"Nova, he's here" Sarina announced, peeking out the window.

"Bye, Sweetie" Nova kissed Sarina's cheek and rushed out the door.

Sarina stood at the window watching Nova run down the steps to greet Seth, who was standing by his car, holding a long stem rose. Sarina was so happy for her sister, Nova deserved to be happy. But at the same time Sarina couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about Seth. Sarina watched Seth hand Nova the flower and gently touch Nova's cheek. Nova was looking at Seth like he was a dream. A very good one at that.

Dream.. Something about that triggered a memory. Sarina watched Seth hold the door open for Nova and then as he closed the door he looked up at the window where Sarina was standing. He gave her a nod, then he looked around and went around to get in the car. That's when she remembered.

She gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. She stood there frozen with shock. Fear etched down her spine and her heart picked an unnatural rhythm. Her dreams and the vague memory of his hand creating fire collided as she just realized that Seth was not what he pretended to be. And she had sent her sister out alone with him!

*~*

Nova laughed as Seth mocked Mr. Wike and his arrogance. Seth apparently didn't take authority figures well. The two hundred mile drive seemed to take only minutes, when she was so caught up in talking to Seth.

"So where are we going first?" Nova asked excitedly,she hadn't been to New Orleans since before her parents had died. They used to come here a lot taking in the sights and culture, but since their death Nova hadn't took the time to return. It was a shame she thought as she looked out the window at the passing buildings, this city is so beautiful.

"We are going to La Bayou, a restaurant on the French quarter" Seth answered, as he glanced over at Nova. His eyes traveled down her dress. She was beautiful. He had looked forward to tonight all week, making plans. He had planned to take her to a nice restaurant, then to the art show, and a romantic walk on the moonwalk. He had decided the best way to tempt her would be to use the attraction she felt for him. Why couldn't he have fun while he was at it? He thought smiling. This bet was becoming more and more enjoyable.