Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Seth woke up slowly in his bed at the cottage he aquired for himself. The sun was bright, shining in his eyes. But that wasn't what woke him. The whistling had.  

"It is nine o'clock in the morning Camael, what are you doing here?" he croaked without even looking up.

"Cleaning up your mess, as usual" Camael gripped, picking up clothes off the floor.

"Go Home" He yawned as he started falling back asleep.

But, Camael continued apparently without remorse for  waking his friend. "So here I was in deep with one of the archangel's over a big deal and I overhear a bet made between Baal-berth and your ugly self."

Growling Seth sat up throwing a knife in Camael's direction. Camael caught the knife behind his back and threw it back, slamming it point straight in the headboard and inch from Seth's face. Seth didn't even blink.

"Why would the Angel's be aware of our bargain?" Seth asked rubbing his face.

"Because, you made a deal involving one of their own. Of course the others would be interested. How dumb were you to make such a bet?" Camael scolded. "You blame your father every chance you get on his sins, and yet here you areforcing sin on a innocent young girl. What are you thinking?" Camael was exasperated.

He had met him in Seth's mortal days. Only Seth was never aware that Camael was sent to guide him. As the Leader of the Seraphim (God's highest ranking angels) and the angel that guides souls before and after death, he wasa soul's last chance at heaven. He was Seth's last chance at heaven. But, the job would have been easier if he hadn't gotten to know the young man. Even in his mortal form he could feel Seth's anger and sorrow. Seth's human life was like a living breathing hell, and he understood Seth's reluctance to trust God's actions. But, Seth needed to learn quick because time was running out.

"I know what I am doing Cam, the deals been made and I'm following through with it." he answered, ignoring the image of Nova's kiss from last night. He had thought about that kiss for hours later. He had a deal to win and just because he was attracted to her didn't mean he was giving up. His soul was on the line. He didn't have room for guilt. But as for tempting her.. He refreshed her face in his memory, he was going to enjoy every minute of it.

Camael rolled his eyes as he heard the thoughts in Seth's head. The boy needed his help where he admitted or not. Nothing was so black and white. He had a lot of work to do.

*~*

Sarina tripped over a log on the way the Mayan's house. Mayan was a feared voodoo priestess that lived out in the swamp. Sarina had met Mayan a few days after the death of her parents. She was walking in the swamp, wanting to get away from everyone's looks of pity, when she accidentally stumbled on a crocodile. Sarina had froze. She didn't know whether to run or stand there and let it eat her. So, just as she bent down and grabbed a rock off the ground to hurl at the giant lizard, a woman's voice had rang out.

"Come on cherie' come home for supper, I gots me a real fine supper waitin." she had said. Sarina had whipped around to find an old colored woman dangling a dead rabbit in temptation for the crocodile. At the time Sarina didn't know the crocodile was the woman's pet. So when the crocodile trotted happily after the old woman Sarina was shocked. Since then she had grown accustomed to all of Mayan's pets and her unusual ways. Mayan was very wise, and if anyone could help her find out why she kept having the dreams of demons, Mayan could. So, Sarina kept on the path, careful of fallen logs more determined than ever.

*~*

Nova walked to Ryan's house in a daze. She was so happy. The birds were singing, flowers blooming and the cool air marked springtime was here. But none of this penetrated her thoughts. She was still buzzing from the night before. How could love be so quick? She asked herself. How could she explain to Seth that his past didn't matter to her? She was so caught up in her thoughts she ran straight into Ryan who was walking behind his car.