Chapter 5 (RW)

It had been about a week since the whole vault debacle. Phoenix has helped as much as she could, despite the gaping wound in her abdomen, and even befriended many of the residents. She didn't understand why everyone was so surprised that she had become acquaintances with Marcy Long, but help the others none the less. But, she did her best day in and day out as Nate helped the minutemen with settlements.
"Phoenix, come ere." Preston and Nate waved her over. They were joined by a mercenary. He wasn't the tallest or the biggest person, but who was she to judge? She stood at a solid five feet tall nothing. The man wore a torn up coat, and a olive green cap. Another notable feature was his pristine sniper rifle tossed over his shoulder.
"Considering your condition, and how you've been healing up, we thought you could be useful out in the Commonwealth with us." Preston continued Nate's proposal; " If you're up to it, we want to train you as sort of a scout/assassin sort of deal. You would be a scout, but if it's an easy target, we'll have you handle it."
Phoenix thought for a moment, but quickly nodded her head. She would do anything to get out into the world, repairing walls and fences can only entertain for so long.
Nate smiled, "Great. We wanted to start your training right away, and since Preston and I are busy with settlements, we hired MacCready over here to start ya off."
MacCready took a step forward, extending a hand. "Hey, would introduce myself, but the boss beat me to it."
Phoenix snickered and shook his hand gently.
"Not that ya could, but ya don't have explain all that 'condition' crap. Nate filled me in."
Phoenix blushed and rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment, but nodded.
Nate and Preston turned, walking towards the workshop.
"You two get started, we'll catch ya guys later."
Phoenix held up a finger, telling MacCready to wait for a second. He shrugged as she ran up to Nate. This probably was not the best time to do it, but if she was leaving, she didn't want to chance losing Nora's ring. She tapped on his shoulder, pulling the contents of her pocket out. He raised an eyebrow as she grabbed his hand and placed the accessories in it. His eyes widened as he started at the ring and bracelet, using his other hand to trace over it.
"Where did you find these?" Nate said, barely more audible than a whisper. Phoenix pointed in the direction of the vault, and jumped in surprise as he wrapped her in a hug strong enough to bend steel.
"Thank you. I couldn't ask for a better friend." She smiled and swatted at him as he ruffled her hair. She waved as she made her way to MacCready. He raised and eyebrow, but shrugged it off as he cleared his throat.
"You better grab some basic supplies, cause we're heading to Goodneighbor. The boss wanted you trained as soon as possible, and the area around the neighborhood is some of the most dangerous places in the Commonwealth."
She had a hint of fear in her eyes, apparently letting it show. He smirked and playfully punched her in the shoulder.
"Don't worry. Ol' MacCready ain't gonna let shi- anything happen." She looked at him with confusion with his refusal to swear, but he shook his head, telling her it was a story for another time.
With that, Phoenix went to pack her things. MacCready talked with Nate and Preston for the ten minutes it took her to pack. She had recently memorized most of the american sign language. She thought it would be easier to communicate, even though she had to lug around a large notebook for others to use as reference. She had spent an entire week writing every thing she could down in it, and she had barely covered half of it. But it was well over enough for now. She set it on the nightstand as she packed stimpaks and rad-aways, despite her irrational fear of needles. She shrugged the messenger bag over her shoulder, clipping a sleeping bag and portable hot plate onto the straps. She packed a few extra canteens of clean water. She grabbed the book, making her way through the door.
"Is that all you're bringing?" MacCready asked, raising a brow and pointing at her bag. She gave a small side smile, shrugging.
"Back in our time, she was able to hack terminals, pick locks, and survive weeks on little food. She'll be alright." Nate cut it, leaning against the wall.
"How is the food thing even possible? But I'll take your word on it. You better hope you're right." Nate smiled and shrugged at MacCready's response, turning back to the map laid on a large table.
MacCready motioned for them to head out. "I was telling Nate it'll be a few days till-" he grunted as Phoenix smacked the thick notebook to his chest, telling him to take it. He flipped through it curiously as they walked. He looked up in confusion as she rapidly signed smirking, her hands flinging as fast as lightning. He quickly read page by page, occasionally looking up. She giggled as she swatted his hands back, flipping to a page in the middle of the book, pointing in a matter of seconds. She slowly signed as MacCready looking from her hands to the page several times.
Ya ready for an adventure?
She continued but a bit faster. Soon, MacCready was smiling, slightly nodding his head.
"Adventure is my middle name, Shorty." She glared at the nickname, causing him to laugh as he continued to flip through the book. She tapped his shoulder, causing him to look up. She smirked as she turned to a random page, pointing at an unknown word. He started at it for a moment, before looking up to see Phoenix flipping him off.
"Oh boy, what a way to start this trip off." He rolled his eyes, but couldn't himself from smiling. "Keep that up, and you're first lesson will involve running five miles."

I'm so sorry...(A fallout fanfiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara