34- left alone

Phoenix gingerly flipped to the next page of her comic, giving Mirk a firm pat on the head as he lied down next to her bed. It was almost funny seeing how frustrated he got, now that he was too big to sit on her lap. She jolted a bit as she heard a soft knock on her doorframe.
"Hey kiddo, can we talk?"
Adam gave an apologetic smile, scratching the back of his neck. Phoenix gave him a bored look, ignoring that her heart was racing in her chest.
We have nothing to talk about
Adam sighed, nodding his head.
"Well you at least hear me out?"
Phoenix gave a hesitant nod, giving him a glare as he made his was into the room and sat on one of the plush chairs on the other side of the room. She kind of appreciated it, glad that he realizes that he can't just give her a hug and expect everything to go well. She raised a brow, waiting for him to begin. Adam sighed, resting his elbows on his knees and looking at the floor. Calling it an uncomfortable silence was an understatement.
"I... I have some explaining to do. After I left, we headed overseas. We were given permission by the U.K's armed forces to set up a naval base up along the ports. When I wasn't on the battlefield, I was the sorta substitute mechanic. I could do quick fixes just fine."
He hesitated, taking a deep breath.
"One day, I was down on the watercraft deck, adjusting a submarine's propeller. It almost happened too fast. First the building started to shake, then there was screaming, then fire followed seemingly all at once. Turns out that an enemy base was dangerously close, and no one knew about them. But they knew about us, and they had bombs with our names on them. There were about a dozen of us down on the deck. We all grabbed as much as we could save and piled onto a smaller carrier. We waited as long as we could before the deck itself collapsed... we were the only ones to survive out of the entire base of hundreds. But I guess headquarters didn't look very well, because they announced all of us as dead, and closed the case at that. It didn't take long for us to run out of fuel, so we were left floating out there for months. Seeing as the ship was stocked for hundreds of soldiers at a time, we had no problem with supplies. But from sickness or who knows what, our little group began to die off. All buried at sea. We eventually landed somewhere up along the coast of New York. The few of us left ditched the ship and started on foot. Through sheer luck, we found another base, and we still had radio signals. And we all set up shop in the small town that surrounded it. We were on our way to being saved, but then the nukes came. The base had a small emergency vault on the lower levels, so we hid there. A few other residents made their way in as well. It just so happened to be cryogenic, but the difference from yours was that ours was fully automated. Once we got in and the bombs dropped, the functions were interrupted and we were left frozen. With nothing to overwrite the instructions, we stayed that way. A year or two ago, some kids were messing around the base and somehow destroyed the database, setting us loose. I had thought that my family was long gone, so I can back to the Commonwealth, made you all a grave, and kept on going."
Phoenix looked at him, trying to find any sort of confirmation that he was lying. But all she saw was a lonely, heartbroken man.
"You made us a grave?" Adam physically cringed at the sound of her voice, it sounding more like smashing glass than an actual human voice. He gave a bitter filled chuckle. "Yeah, along the border of West Virginia. I made it on my way back. Maybe I'll take you sometime, we could make a road trip out of it. Pack up Mirk and head out."
Phoenix almost smiled, shaking her head.
"So what happened with your voice? I know it's not a birth defect."
Phoenix sighed, debating whether to let him know or not. She stood, motioning for him to follow.

Guess who's back... back again... after like eight months... dear god I'm awful