Why I decided to (minorly) rewrite by book thus far (please read)

So I've gotten a few messages (all polite) of people asking why I decided to rewrite my book. One main reason is that I felt my story line was too cookie-cutter. Tragic backstory, badass that is also a pushover, injury with a somewhat generic cause, everyone likes her, yada yada yada.
I will not be changing any huge story points. For example Phoenix meeting her real dad and adopted brother will not be changed. Friendships will not be changed. The character herself will not have really any major changes. I just felt that her story felt too bland. Some parts dragged on, and others were over before they even began. I also feel like Nate's story just shows up for a plot update and then it's not mentioned. There was also never a real reason why Phoenix's stepdad acted the way he did, although I planned on expanding that later on.
One major part I wish to focus on first is the Memory den scene. What could have been a pretty good scene was just rushed through, and I was never really happy with it.
As of now, Phoenix will now be 20 rather than 18. Nate will now be 24.
Another reason is that over the two years I've been writing this, my grammar knowledge and vocabulary depth have drastically improved. My old descriptions seem childish comparatively.

Do not panic (as conceded as it sounds) this story, Phoenix's story, is VERY far from over. I assure you that. To all who have kept up with this story, and to those who just arrived. Thank you for your support and kind messages. As much as I have left this in the background, the messages and reading list additions never fail to make me smile.