20

Phoenix carried Dimitri on her back, Maccready and Mirk not far behind. After days of traveling, they made it to the Great Green Jewel of the Commonwealth. They turned the corner to see a woman kicking at a large door, Nate a few steps behind her.
     "Piper, if you would quite calling the mayor a synth, we wouldn't be in this mess." Piper only glared in response, yelling again for a man named Danny.
"Aye boss!" Mac took a jog to the scene. Nate pushed a small button placed below a small speaker, said a few words, and the door opened. Phoenix had to cover Dimitri's ears as Piper unraveled a string of curses. She didn't even know this woman, and she already felt that they were going to get along just fine. Dimitri pulled Phoenix swiftly through the door, past the guards and up the steep concrete staircase.
     "I've been here before!" Dimitri exclaimed, eyes sparkling as he took in the view. "Now you watch yourself, Dimitri." Out from a room placed in the side of the entrance stepped in Mayor Mcdonough." We all know what happened the last time you came." Dimitri sheepishly hid in the hood of Phoenix's jacket, face red from embarrassment.
     "Anyways," the mayor clasped his hands together. "It seems we have some newcomers. I would like to personally welcome you to Diamond City. Come and go as you please, but know you will always have a home here. Now if you'll excuse me, I have matters to attend to." And with that, he was gone. Phoenix gave Nate a questioning glance. "He gives that speech to everyone." He answered simply, nodding his head towards the marketplace. Piper detoured from their small group into a building called Publick Occurrences and was greeted by a girl no older than the boy riding Phoenix's back. After a brief introduction of the city, they soon split up to explore on their own.
     Phoenix walked down a narrow alleyway, eyes caught by the glint of a bright neon sign in the evening light.
Valentine Detective Agency
     A smile spread across her face and she opened the door to see Nick talking to what she assumed was the Secretary. His face lit up. "Back in one piece I see." She nodded and let Dimitri slide off her back, him being immediately distracted by a few insects buzzing around the bright light above the desk. "Well, looks like you found another piece." Nick chuckled as he watched Dimitri wriggle as a bug landed in his hand.
Found him buried in one of the old office buildings
Nick frowned." That's unfortunate. Glad there's people like you guys out there."
     The Secretary walked over to the a desk in the corner, pulling out a cartridge and a small-screened device. A few cheerful dings filled the room before dozens of pixel characters filled the screen. She handed the device to Dimitri, who gave out a loud squeal as he plopped down in the corner and began furiously mashing the buttons. She extended a hand.
     "Ellie Perkins. Nick's secretary." Phoenix nodded and smiled, gently shaking her hand.
     "Phoenix. She's mute by the way, so she's not being rude." Nick commented, Phoenix blushing in embarrassment. They spent the next few hours chatting and catching up.
~~~~~~~
     Phoenix and Nick exited the agency, as they were told by Nate to meet at the noodle stand later that evening. They turned the corner, seeing a crowd of people gathered in the center. They soon found Nate, Piper, and Mac, pushing past a few people to see what all of the commotion was about. All Phoenix saw was a man pleading to another with a gun pointed at his head, before a few loud bangs filled the tense atmosphere and both dropped down dead. Phoenix gave a sharp gasp, digging her head into Mac's sleeve. Nate cleared his throat and ushered them all to a doorway in the corner of the marketplace, a power armor stand the closest thing to a welcome mat.
     The large open room was brightly lit, the faint echo of a radio playing in the conjoined room off the the side. A compact kitchen was pushed under a wooden flight of stairs, the other room holding a dining table, bookshelves, and plush, well maintained sofas. The stairs led to a couple lofts above them, stacked with extra supplies and clean sleeping bags.
     "What the hell was that?!" Phoenix yelled, her thick Irish accent crackling the way a ghoul's speech would. "Accusations of a synth." Piper sighed, draping herself onto a sofa.
     "Since when were you Irish?" Mac asked, raising a brow.
"Her entire family had accents, she just lost her speaking ability before she could form an American one." Nate answered, pulling a Nuka Cola out of the buzzing fridge.
And you've heard me speak before, dimwit.
     Mac gave a teasing smile before turning and sorting through his bags. He was testing her patience, and she wasn't going to let him get her riled up. She shook her head, pulling back her brunette curls. She froze and stopped breathing for a moment.
     Where's Dimitri?
   Phoenix looked at Nate in a panic and began frantically searching around the small home. Tiny footsteps patted down the stairs as a very exhausted-looking boy made his way downstairs, rubbing his eyes with closed fists. Phoenix sagged in relief, welcoming the silent and tired hug around her waist. She scooped him up, making her way to the living room with the rest of their little group.

(Thank you guys for +300 reads!)