Chapter 16- Family Gathering

Asher's POV

We all sit down at the very large mahogany table that seats the whole Taylor family. It's surprising really since there's so many of them, including my mom, my two sisters and I. Once we've all gone around saying grace and what we were thankful for- a small family tradition the Taylor's have been doing- we start to pass the food along. The eating commenced, the compliments to the chef were served, and soon after the chit chatting picked up again.

Mr. Taylor isn't half bad of a cook. I enjoy the holidays especially because I got to look forward to his great cooking. I told Kimmy once, if he didn't make a good career of being a lawyer, or if he ever got sick of it, I'm sure he could be one heck of a chef at some high class restaurant. Sometimes his food tasted just as phenomenal.

"So how are all the kids doing in school?" Mr. Taylor asks from the head of the table. Why does the first conversation always have to start off about doing well in school? We're on vacation right now; you shouldn't have to think about school.

"Good. Well. Swell. I'm failing math," Are the few responses from the Taylor kids. I'm pretty sure Kimmy isn't the only brains in the family. All the Taylor's ever seem to talk about is their jobs, school, or something educational, but I guess out of all the kids Kimmy's the only one who takes school seriously.

"I can't believe the kids are already graduating this year, Kelly," Mrs. Taylor mutters to my mom. Her quite voice could be heard from across the table.

"I know. Feels like just yesterday we were yelling at them to eat their vegetables and go take a nap," My mom replies, giggling with Mrs. T about us.

"Eat your vegetables, Asher," Kimmy whispers, nudging my arm as she hears the same thing. A smile of humor plasters on her elegant face. It's so hard not to just fall in love with that smile and greenish eyes. I spear two carrots with my fork and shove them in my mouth showing Kimmy dramatically that I'm enjoying my vegetables, even though I dread eating them.

"So, Asher, how was your game today?" Mr. Taylor asked. I felt the family had just quiet down to stare at me and listen to my answer. As if a big spotlight on me, which I didn't mind at all.

"Awesome. We won, and I scored three out of the five touchdowns we made," I reply back to him. Yes, I had to add that part and yes, I'm that cocky about it. Why not be that proud of my great achievements?

"That's good to hear. Keep up the good work," He says nicely, which was a change for once. He may be a little hard on me because of the way Kimmy and I are always so close together, but there are times when he's not a stiff and treats me as any other human. But he'll always keep a hawk's eye on me.

More talk went around the table and people just eventually started to ignore Kimmy's Grandpa Joe who kept asking about the cancer in the apple pie. Yeah, not crazy at all. Yes her grandfather is losing it while surprisingly Kimmy's Grandma Mary is still in full gear, alive and healthy. She can remember anything even if it was from years ago, and she's seventy! Unlike Joe, who's seventy-five and losing his marbles.

Kimmy's family is actually pleasant despite their snobbish appearance and intellectual conversations that anyone outside their family could not understand. They all have a good sense of humor and are very polite. My favorite has got to be the Aunts. You know why? If they can see that Kimmy and I are a perfect match than obviously they're my favorite supporting people. I've been going to these little- or actually large- parties for quite some time now. My dad is always on business and my mom doesn't have too much family that lives in the area. My dad has a few brothers and a sister, but my mom doesn't like going to their parties without my dad.