Acting (Part 2)

MARINETTE

"Such a bold question from a mere private who doesn't even know what she is doing."

I glare at him but he ignores it by raising a taunting eyebrow at me.

"You must be curious, princess."

"I am not your princess, sir." I say. "I just want answers."

"Answers." He scoffs and watches the sun set at the horizon. "For years I haven't received any answer as to why they did it..." He mumbles. "I too have my unanswered questions."

I pause upon hearing his words. They were said out of the blue but I have a feeling that such words might be the answers to my question.

"Pardon?" I ask. He looks at me and shakes his head, like as if he was dismissing a thought.

"None of your business." He utters, "Give me time, princess. And I will tell you everything you want to know." He shows me a soft smile but despite how gorgeous he looks at the moment, I can't stop myself from rolling my eyes out of how petty he is.

"Sir, I am not your princess. Do I have to keep reminding yo-"

"I know you aren't my princess." He says, "But you sure act like one."

"What are you trying to imply, sir?" I ask, skeptical.

"I mean you're regal like a princess." He starts, shrugging his shoulders. "And you have the beauty of one..." He doesn't look at me as he utters his last statement. And I really thank the heavens for giving me enough time to cool down my blushing cheeks.

"O-oh...Thanks? I gue-"

"Um, you should go to your uncle." He interrupts, still not looking at me. "He...he might like your company."

"R-really?" I immediately show him a hand salute before leaving. He becomes shocked upon facing me.

"Oh please don't do that." He groans and runs his hands on his face, "After such compliments from me, it's embarrassing for me to even watch you showing your respect for me. Leave me and go to your uncle!" He shoos me away with his hands.

"And don't tell your uncle about our conversation!" He continues, "Especially the 'princess' part. He will kill me if he knows..."

"Don't worry, sir." I say with a reassuring smile, "What happens between us will stay between us."

He chuckles, "I trust you, private." He winks at me before I hastily turn away and proceed my walk to the General's office.

Don't look back. Don't look back. DON'T LOOK BACK.

I repeat the mantra in my head as I walk away from him.

Flirting with a superior?! What the heck is wrong with you, Marinette?

But I can't help myself...

I pause to look back. His back is facing me as he enjoys the view of the horizon. The sun is halfway gone and the stars have started to come out. The view alone is amazing but with Adrien in it, it becomes picturesque. He makes everything seem so perfect.

And to think that I will be betraying him soon...

Or have I started the betrayal already? Ever since I said, "yes"?

I look away in guilt and start my way again to the office. A frown takes over my face and I start to worry. I rub my sweaty hands together and try to calm myself.