Epilogue

A.N. More of my words of thanks will be posted in the next chapter (Acknowledgements). For now, I hope you will enjoy the very last chapter of this book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARINETTE

(7 months after)

Promise me, when this is all over you'll stop working for the garrison.

"Patient in Room C-307 is requesting for more rolls of toilet paper. You think you can be the one to get from the supply room and bring at most two to her, Marinette?"

I smile at our head nurse of the station and bring my nurse cart with me, ready to head to the supply room. "That's the simplest task I've received all day."

I stopped working as a nurse for the first two months, following my promise. But the rush and joy I get from serving people was what I missed the most.

I couldn't simply let go of it.

I went back to nursing, but this time in a general hospital.

I do it for the thrill, and I do it because I get small reminders of him in every action.

I arrive at the supply room and head to the shelf where they keep the endless rolls of toilet paper. After I grab two, my gaze lands on the different kinds of pairs of forceps and needles placed neatly on the compartment under the toilet paper rolls.

Memories of teaching Adrien back in the garrison's infirmary comes flooding in my mind and I could only let out a bitter smile. I reach down to grab one pair of Kelly forceps and run a finger, tracing its metal shape. The ring hanging around my neck leaves an aching sensation on my chest.

It hurt to not see him ever again after that time in the emergency building. I've started to live with it, but there are times when the pain becomes unbearable.

My lip quivers and I bring the pair of forceps to my chest, crying softly in my spot - deciding to let the tears fall freely down my face. There are times when I allow myself to cry...there are times when I chastise myself for doing so.

It's unhealthy. I know that. But the moment Adrien was declared MIA, missing in action, a part of me died. My closest friends tried to let me continue hoping but I was too weak to continue. Uncle Hugo also died, in action, and despite the hardships brought by him I still broke down - I couldn't take care of myself for that period of time. They allowed me to grieve and I needed that opportunity...I was strong for a long time and letting go of that front allowed me to breathe again.

I did mope around and mourn more over losing Adrien. Even if a lot of changes happened right after - the distribution of same power and leaders continued. Nino and Monarch now work together, with Nino taking care of the matters of the southern border and Monarch in the northern border.

"Mari?" A voice calls me from behind, taking me back to where I am at the present. I let out a small gasp and wipe away the tears on my cheeks before turning around. I sigh in relief when I see that it's just Nath, standing by the doorway of the room. His eyes soften when he enters and closely sees my current state.

"Hi," I whisper and he quietly wraps his arms around me. I continue to cry in his embrace and I feel his shoulders heave as well. He's crying, too.

Nath also continued his work as a nurse. Monarch made sure that we both would work at the same hospital so that we could support each other. Nath begged to work here since it is where Chloé is. She's been in a comatose state for months now. She was one of those badly affected by the last explosion, but it could have gone worse than what actually happened.