Blinded

ADRIEN

"Move faster, Adrien!"

"I'm trying!" I laugh out loud. One of my comrades pushes me hard from behind as we all run to our mess hall. All of us, soldiers, are asked to gather there for this new recreational activity the nurses and medical practitioners have prepared for us.

A break from our hectic training? Who wouldn't say yes to that?

The activity last month comprised of a fest that focused mainly on sports. We were grouped into three different groups as we competed with one another's teams. The so-called "sports fest" lasted for two whole days ending with a bonfire to celebrate camaraderie with our comrades.

Unfortunately for this month, we only have a free night allotted for this activity. It must be because of how things are getting busy around here and to even find time for another recreational activity was, I bet, a pain in the neck for the heads of the project.

"So, what do we have for tonight?" I ask one of my comrades, Rig, standing beside me as the both of us try to see what's happening in front amidst the sea of soldiers.

"No idea, man," he sighs, struggling to see what is going on. "I can see a makeshift stage though."

"A stage?" I exclaim. "Are they going to stage a play?" I playfully ask. The both of us laugh raucously. Suddenly I accidentally bump into someone and just as I was about to apologize to him I immediately ask, "Sor-wait," I point at the bottle of beer in his hand, "where did you get that?"

"This?" The soldier slightly raises the bottle in his hand, "there are some nurses there giving these babies out for free!" He points to his right before taking a swig of his beer. "I haven't had these in months!"

"Because we aren't allowed to have them!"

"Not tonight!" He takes another swig of his beer, finishing it to the very last drop. "Tonight's an exception since it's karaoke night and I'm going to get myself another one. You fellas should come with me!" He drags me by the shoulder and does the same with Rig with his other hand. We head straight to a makeshift booth where we see some familiar faces either enjoying their share of beer or opening the bottles to distribute to others.

Someone offers me a bottle and I do not hesitate to take it from him. I bring the bottle to my lips and chug down at least half of the bottle.

"I've never had anything as refreshing as this in a long time," Rig comments after grabbing another bottle right after finishing one whole bottle in one chug.

"Tell me about it!" I shout over the music that just started blasting loudly from the speakers around the mess hall. "Woah! I guess karaoke night has officially started!"

We see some soldiers onstage holding their own microphones. While some were facing the screen that was about to flash the lyrics of the song, others tried to make the crowd excited and pumped. "Are you ready?" One soldier shouts on the microphone which causes the crowd to break into cheers. "Sing along with us in five, four, five, four, three, two!"

"I'd sit alone and watch your light! My only friend through teenage nights! And everything I had to know, I heard it on my radio!" Those with the microphones sing loudly on them and the rest of the crowd follows.

"What's this song again?!" I ask Rig who was singing loudly beside me.

"Dude, it's Radio Ga Ga by Queen!" He answers, excited. "I haven't heard this song in years!"