Praeparatio

MARINETTE

"General Hugo really knows how to find the rats in his system."

Monarch sighs disappointingly over the phone and I frown. I know that he's taking what recently happened hard.

"Don't remind me..." He merely murmurs. "I can't shake the feeling that it's my fault."

"Monarch, it is not your fault. There are times when committing mistakes are inevitable-"

"But not during the start of a war, Marinette!" Monarch speaks, his voice raised. I look around the shower room in fear that someone might have heard his sudden outburst. Thankfully, I have my allies to stand outside and inconspicuously guard the area. Monarch stays silent after what he just said, and I wait patiently for him to continue. Well, the truth is...I do not know what to say.

"This is the start of a war, Marinette." He whispers. "And we can't afford to lose more good men like Colonel Glenn. I can't commit any mistakes from now on."

"Monarch, you're going to lose your sanity with your way of thinking." I tell him on the phone.

"Then come back and keep me sane." He pleads. My breath hitches in my throat with his sudden statement and my heart started to beat in a rapid manner.

"Monarch-"

"It's hard, Marinette, to forget you. If you want me to erase every memory of you, you're asking me to erase 10 years of my life. I can't do that."

I forcefully close my eyes and try to steer away from this conversation. But I can't seem to...in fact, I feel drawn to it. I'm not going to deny it, but I have this part of me that still misses him.

And it is killing me.

"Monarch, and I can't promise to always have you in my thoughts. I-I don't have the time to-"

"Whether or not you have another man in your thoughts..." He interrupts. "that's not going to stop me from wishing for your safety in the next two days. We're all praying for this to work."

The dispatch of selected soldiers and nurses to the rebel base. Rather, the faux dispatch. It's a plan that will either give us the opportunity to win or the chance to lose everything that we have been fighting for.

"And my team and I are ready. We've assigned ourselves to different tasks and dispersed the information to our fellow allies." I inform him on the phone. I'm thankful that he shifted the topic, it lessens the guilt I feel towards him.

"Remember that death is also inevitable. It is either you die later or sooner. Don't bring back dead bodies to our base. I want all of you alive."

"Yes, sir." I utter, starting to feel tense and pressured. The target date is nearing and also my time left with Adrien.

I know he is going to learn the truth, and I'm sure that at that moment I'm going to lose him.

That is another thing which is also freaking killing me.

"I would have to end the call now. Disseminate the information to your other members that we're praying for the success and safety of all of you. I'll see all of you soon, Marinette."