An Unexpected Year Chapter 4 ~ First Day At Work

{Mr. Matthews on top}
Word count 1350
POV Mr. Matthews

I took one last look in the mirror before walking out of the bathroom. I walked into the living room and grabbed my bag. Today is the first day of my new job, a teacher at Green Camp High. I have mixed feelings about today. I love teaching, because I like to share my knowledge and experience. Also I loved going high school myself, I was the popular guy and had many friends.

But I also know how hard teenagers can be. Whenever we had a new or substitute teacher we'd never go easy on them.

I walked into my assigned classroom, room 157. It was a normal sized classroom with a few posters on the walls. I looked out the window and saw a still empty parking lot. I came in early because I still have to settle in, I placed my bag onto my desk and started unpacking. Soon I heard the first bell ring which meant the students should be getting in now. It's their first day of school which means they'll have to get to homeroom first, that's where their schedules will be handed out.

Five more minutes until my first class will come in, I pulled my hand through my hair and sighed. 

"rinngggg"

Soon enough students came walking in, most of them were catching up with their friends. When the girls, and some of the guys, saw me theirs jaws literally dropped. I mentally smirked, I kind of like the attention. I noticed that basically every girl was checking me out, it made me feel confident. Besides if they like me they probably want to get on my get side, by going easy on me. once everyone was seated I stood up. "Welcome everybody, I'm Mr. Matthews. I will be you English Literature teacher this year. Today is my first day working as a teacher so please go easy on me." I quickly ran a hand through my hair and took another breath. "Today we'll start with getting to know one another, I will call out each of your names and I want you to tell 2 things about yourself. When we're finished you get to ask me questions." I sat down and called out the first name.

"Alyssa". I look around searching for the girl with the name Alyssa, when my eyes scanned the room I noticed a lot of the girls tugging down their shirt showing me even more cleavage. Finally a girl stood up, she was wearing much make-up, a lot.  She told me 2 things about herself and sat down again. This went on for a while and finally it was their turn to ask me questions. "Okay, now it's your turn to ask me questions." Immediately all girls raised their hands. I pointed at a girl who sat up front.

"How old are you?" Isn't this a private question? Do they really care about my age? I decided just to answer her question.

"I'm 24 years old". All the girls sighed dreamily.

I pointed at another girl. "Are you single?". What the hell? Do these desperate school girls really think I'll date any of them? That's just gross, besides I'm their teacher and I would never risk my job just so I could be with student. But I don't mind flirting with them... That's just entertaining! Most of the guys in the class were shooting daggers at me. Fortunately, I was prepared for this question. I have actually memorized and rehearsed an answer. "Yes, I just moved here from across the state. I'm planning on focusing on my job." Again all the girls sighed dreamily, suddenly a guy rose his hand as well. He is the first guy to do so. I nodded my head in his direction and he spoke up, "are you gay?" I mentally sighed at his question. "No, I'm not" the guy sighed disappointed. Are all these students looking for a relationship with their teacher?

"tringggg" saved by the bell. 

Before things could get more awkward I dismissed my students, luckily for the next hour I had a free period followed by lunch. After lunch I quickly went to the men's restroom. I walked in and stared at myself in the mirror giving myself a quick pep talk. I really had to get back or I'd be late for my first day and I don't want to give my students the wrong impression of what my class will be like.

I could hear laughter coming from my classroom so I picked up my pace. I was about to enter when I bumped into someone. Her hand covered her face and I couldn't properly see her. She mumbled a quick sorry before hastily walking away. I stared into the classroom to find everyone already staring at me. I awkwardly smiled and headed towards my desk. "O MY GOD, that bitch completely ruined your shirt!". I looked down at my shirt, there was a bloodstain. A bloodstain? "Was the girl I just bumped into bleeding?" I asked, worry evident in my voice. I looked over to the girl who told me that 'The bitch ruined my shirt.' I noticed she was checking me out so I quickly scanned over her face, way too much make-up. I couldn't help but notice the amount of cleavage she was showing, it screamed 'desperate'! She replied "Don't worry, she's just clumsy and she tripped over my bag" she said while pointing to her bag. "Okay... Well, I'm your English Literature teach-" I was interrupted by a knock on the door, before I could answer a girl opened the door. I looked at her, her eyes were filled with embarrassment, shame and guilt. Guilt? I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw her checking me out, well that's what I thought she was doing until she blushed and mumbled "I'm sorry for ruining your shirt". I finished my sentence and started calling out names.

"Abigail" the girl I had bumped into awkwardly looked up. Whilst she was talking about herself I took my time looking at her. She was gorgeous. Whilst she was talking, about what? I don't know, I noticed her avoiding eye contact, shy. I instantly felt this pull towards her, I felt like I needed to get to know her.  I should've listened to her introduction.  Once she had finished I continued to the next name.

"Bianca," I mentally smiled because it was the girl sat next to Abigail. She said something about the beach and lifeguards. Girls... Abigail blushed at what Bianca was saying and playfully smacked her arm. Feisty. I have to talk to her about what had happened before, because I don't think she actually tripped over that bag. Her smacking her friends' arm was the perfect excuse. "I do not accept violence in my class, detention!" I said in my authoritative voice.

I saw anger in her eyes. She definitely didn't agree with this. "Well I basically got tackled in your class which resulted in a nosebleed, and that gesture was less friendly." I knew she didn't just trip! I was about to say something, but she beat me to it. She covered her mouth with her hand and mumbled a quick 'I'm sorry sir'. 

Way too soon the question round started and surprisingly I got the same questions as before. I did notice that Abigail didn't raise her hand. When I first noticed Abigail didn't have a question I felt kind of sad. Doesn't she want to get to know me, doesn't she feel a pull towards me or does she have a boyfriend? 

My last class has finished and I had already started packing my stuff. I waited for Abigail to show up for her detention. But she never came... Guess I'll just giver her another one.