An Unexpected Year Chapter 10 ~ Skittle hair

Word Count: 1456

"Bianca we have to leave in 15 minutes!", I shout up the stairs. Bianca and I have just woken up, Bianca is getting dressed and I'm preparing us breakfast. "Abs, there are like 20 skittles in my hair," Bianca shouted down the stairs. I started laughing real loud until I heard Bianca racing down the stairs. "We look like crap," Bianca said sadly. "Speak for yourself," I said whilst giving Bianca 2 sandwiches.

--O--

"Ms. Sinclair you are 15 minutes late to class, report to the principal's office," Mr. Andrews said, I sighed but turned back around and left the classroom. I walked towards the principal's office but halfway there I saw Mrs. Danks kick out Bianca. "Hey Bianca, long time no see," I say whilst walking towards her. "Let's head towards Mrs. Dern's office" Bianca said whilst linking her arm through mine.

"Girls," Mrs. Dern said disapprovingly with a scowl in her face. "Why are you here?" she asked. "Mr. Andrews kicked me out because I was late and Mrs. Danks kicked Bianca out because she was late," I informed her. She sighed, "why were the both of you late?" she questioned. "We had a sleepover and arrived late," Bianca said. She sighed annoyed, "why did you have a sleepover on a school night?". I looked at Bianca, she gave me a questioning look, I decided to speak up before Bianca would come up with another lame excuse. Another lame excuse you might ask?

Once Bianca had forgotten her homework, her lame excuse was "My pet ate it". Our teacher replied asking what animal she owned. "Goldfish".

Yup, that is Bianca.

"Me and my boyfriend broke up" I replied with a sad smile. She nodded "you'll have a detention with Mr. Matthews after school". Bianca and I nodded simultaneously.

"Do you feel like getting back to class?" I asked, Bianca shook her head. "Let's sit outside for a while" she said and I nodded.

"Bianca, tomorrow my mum will head back to work. That means I won't see her as often. I'm just scared to talk to her after school," I said, she nodded. "It's hard, I know but you'll have to face it eventually. Just talk to her, don't accuse her or apologize, just have a conversation. Pretend as though you have a normal relationship, just show her you love her," she said. "Thanks, if anything goes wrong can I crash at yours tonight?" I asked hesitantly. "Of course, I'm glad you told me".  "Me too".

--O—

"You ready?" I asked Bianca whilst throwing my left arm around her shoulder, Bianca wrapped her right arm around my waist before nodding. We both took a deep breath and then we stepped inside room 157.

"Welcome" Mr. Matthews said not even looking up from his paperwork. Bianca and I sat down in seats in the back. I grabbed my notebook and started writing a short message.

'I'm bored' I passed it over and waited for Bianca to open it and read it. She slowly opened it hoping it wouldn't make a sound. She read my message and shot me a smile.

She grabbed a pen and started writing, she folded the paper and passed it over.

'We've been here for like 1 minute ☹, what are you doing this hour?'

'Maths, you?'

'Me2 do you think he'd mind if you helped me?'

'Probably, which exercise?'

'All'

I chuckled at her reply so I quickly covered my mouth with my hand. Mr. Matthews looked up and shot us a questioning look. "So, why are you here?" he asked and before I could reply Bianca said "My grandfather died so we decided to have a girls night". I sighed and dropped my head into my arms, Bianca shot me a questioning look whilst Mr. Matthews shot me a knowing one. "Are you sure? Mrs. Dern said Abigail and her boyfriend broke up" he said smugly.

Bianca shot me an apologizing look and mouthed 'sorry'. I shook my head in disbelieve whilst smiling at her stupidity. "Maybe her grandfather died and me and my boyfriend broke up?" I stated, well more like questioned. "Maybe we just wanted to watch movies all night long," Bianca said.

Mr. Matthews shrugged, and went back to grading. I grabbed the piece of paper and wrote a message.

'You stupid ❤'

'sorryyyyy'

'45 minutes left, I don't even know if I want detention to end'

'Well I do, there are still skittles hidden in my hair and I smell like chocolate'

'You smell nice 😊'

She snorted and glared at me, in reply I blew a kiss.

'I'll call you at 6, ok?'

'Yeah, if I'm finished earlier I'll call you or I might just come around'

She nodded and I grabbed my math assignments.

--O—

"Ms Sinclair, can you please stay behind for a minute" Mr. Matthews asked. I nodded and hugged Bianca goodbye. She asked me if I wanted her to wait but I just shook my head. I need to think about conversations I could possibly have with my mum. When Bianca closed the door behind her Mr. Matthews spoke up, "why were you having a girls' night?" I shrugged, not feeling like telling him the truth. "Please tell me," he pleaded. He actually seemed to care, odd. "We just had a few rough days and felt like catching up," I said in all honesty, I just don't trust him enough to tell the whole truth. "What do you mean with 'rough days'?" he questioned, I shook my head. "It's personal, I'm sorry." He smiled at me but it didn't reach his eyes. His eyes read something I didn't recognise.

"I'm thinking about going to Abby's this Saturday. We'll probably stay inside and watch some movies, it'll be raining." I informed him, trying to change the subject. "I'm free on Saturday, what time?" he asked. For some weird reason I felt happy knowing he would be there. "Two?", "perfect," I smiled. Not a fake smile, a genuine one. This little exchange seemed to get my mind of the conversation I've been dreading all day.

"I'm looking forward to it, see you Saturday," he said. "Me too, goodbye."

--O—

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, "I'm home". I walked into the living room and saw my mum passed out on the couch, she had a tight grip on a bottle of pure vodka. I sighed in disappointment, that's when I realised Luke wasn't home. Shit.

Mum wanted to pick Luke up yesterday, to prove she was his actual mum. I expected her to do the same today. I quickly put my coat back on and hurried to his school. When I reached the school Luke was the only one left. He sat on one of the lunch table whilst hugging his knees, tears were streaming down his face. I quickly ran towards him and pulled him in a hug. "I thinks you forgot me," he said whilst crying even louder. "How could I ever forget you?" I asked whilst rubbing his back feeling extremely guilty. "Where were you Abby?" he questioned, "I thought mum would pick you up, I'm so sorry."

--O—

When we came home mum had woken up. I told Luke to go play with his toys and he did what was told.

"What would you fancy for dinner?" I quietly asked my mum. She shrugged and took a sip of her wine. "How was your day?" I asked desperately trying to make conversation. "Fine," she spoke in a harsh tone. I had figured she didn't want to talk but Bianca's advice replayed in my head. "Well, I went to school today. We discussed some topics. One of the topi-" I was just talking about school when she cut me off, "stop talking bitch." I felt a wave of sadness flood over me, "mum what's wrong?" she stood up anger vibrating from each pore, she stalked towards me but I stood my ground. Shen she was inches away I put my hand on her shoulder, hoping to comfort her. She shrugged my hand of as if my touch was burning her. "Don't touch me you filthy whore," she said. I felt like crying, what the hell is going on? I took Luke and headed towards Bianca.

--O—

I knocked on the door and Bianca immediately opened. Her parents still hadn't returned from their business trip or whatever, so we had the house to ourselves. Bianca quickly put some pizza in the oven and turned the tv on for Luke to watch. She didn't ask me what happened, she just wrapped her arms around me and held me tight. We sat down in the kitchen and I told her everything, she comforted me and tried to give advice. The keyword being, tried. Neither of us had any idea on how to handle this situation. When I was calmed down we enjoyed the rest of the night.