An Unexpected Year Chapter 9 ~ Girls night

Word count 2705

In a split second I sat up straight. I started to feel a bit dizzy because of the sudden movement. Sweat was dripping from my forehead to the side of my face mingling with my tears. My eyes are red and puffy. I can't even tell the difference between sweat and tears anymore. I'm breathing heavily. A nightmare, another one. I decided to give up and just stay awake for the rest of the night. I've had four nightmares this night, last night my sleep was just as haunted. I'm too weak to face another one but too tired to stay awake. It's Sunday night, well actually Monday morning. I have school in 5 hours.

I decided on taking an extra-long shower, I got in the bathroom and stared at my reflection in the mirror. Dark circles under my red and puffy eyes. My eyes showed no excitement, life, happiness or anything like that. 'Tired' was written all over my face. I started to get depressed from my own reflection so I started undressing. I hopped in the shower and as soon as the water hit my skin I felt my muscles relax a bit, they were still tense but it's getting better.

After showering for an hour I finally got out, I slowly dried myself not having enough energy to do otherwise. I blow-dried my hair and put it in a messy bun. Today I decided I really need make-up, I started covering the dark bags under my eyes. I continued covering my slightly reddened cheek, whether it's red because of my mum or because of the tears I don't know.

I feel like Leonie, a fake Barbie doll. I never wear this much make-up but I have to...

--O—

"Miss Sinclair how would you solve this equitation?" Mr. Andrews asked. I quickly lifted my head from my arms and supressed a yawn. I looked at the chalkboard but my eyes wouldn't focus on the numbers. Everything was blurry but I was too tired to try properly. I shrugged "I don't know sir". "Abigail, are you paying attention?" Mr. Andrews asked disappointed. I mentally sighed, I really try to stay on the good sides of teachers. I know how difficult our class can be so I try to be good and not stress the teacher. Yes, I feel bad for teachers. "I'm sorry sir, I haven't been sleeping," I replied honestly, he send me a small smile and continued teaching. "Abby what's going on?" Bianca asked worried. I shrugged, too tired to speak up. She poked my side, "Abby what's going on?" she repeated. I groaned quietly, "I just couldn't sleep last night", I harshly said. I sighed, that was pretty rude. She's just worried. "I'm sorry, I'm just very tired" I said and let out a yawn, she nodded and gave me an understanding smile.

--O--

The day went on, during PE I sat on the bleachers because I was too tired to even stand up. Hell, it took me all my might to even sit up.

--O--

"Abigail, can you stay behind? Won't take long" Mr. Matthews said at the end of class. Everyone started leaving but I didn't even bother to lift my head. Suddenly the door closed loudly, I grunted and slowly lifted my head. "What's going on?" Mr. Matthews asked. This is the 5th time someone has asked... "Nothing, just tired" I said whilst shrugging. "What happened? I saw you just the day before yesterday, you seemed fine then," he stated. "I just couldn't fall asleep at night, and the night after," I said hoping this would satisfy him. "I had that much impact on you?" he question with a smirk plastered on his face. "You wish," I said smugly, taking this as an opportunity to change the subject.

Unfortunately he didn't want to change the subject. "What happened? You can tell me" he said. "Nothing happened," I replied a bit too quickly. He raised a suspicious eyebrow. "Nothing happened," I desperately tried to assure him. "What happened when you got home? You said your mum would be there, you argued?" he said deep in thought. I wish that happened, "so it was worse?" he asked. "What?" I asked. "Well you wish you argued so obviously something worse happened," he stated matter-of-factly. I grunted "I didn't know I said that out loud". In reply he just chuckled. "Just tell me, it might help to talk about what's keeping you awake," he said seriously. I'm not going to tell him, this was just a onetime thing so no need to worry. After school I'll call her and we'll discuss this, everything will be okay, I told myself. "It's private and it's nothing to worry about," I told him. He hesitantly nodded, "okay, if you're sure that's it..?" I nodded, "you can tell me if you're ready," he said. "Can I leave?" I asked avoiding his statement, he nodded and I got up.