seventeen - I dont think so

I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes. You can do it Sammie, you just gotta believe, I thought to myself.

I opened my eyes and glanced over at my brother beside me. He gave me a head nod, telling me I was ready. I shook out all of the nerves and looked back at the road ahead of me. I put my seatbelt on, adjusted my mirrors, and gripped my hands on the steering wheel. With one final thought, I put the car in drive, and put my foot on the gas pedal. I glanced in the mirrors and set off.

Yes, I'm a seventeen year old that has yet learned how to drive. It's strange in today's point of view, but I've always been nervous to get behind the wheel of a car.

To have people's lives in my hands is very risky. So postponing driving was something I thought very highly on. Until recently.

My friends and family aren't always around to drive me places, and even if I might not get a car right now, the ability to drive is still a bonus. For example, if my mother were sick, I could just take her car without bothering her.

That's why I sat here driving for the third time in my life with my brother by my side. Of course he was very cocky about it, but he was a good driver. So who better to teach me. And if I'm completely honest, I was not the best driver.

I only had my permit as of right now, but I was going to take a five hour class in the next month that allows me to get my junior's license right after my road test because I'm seventeen. And what makes it even nicer is that I turn eighteen in a couple of months so then I'll be able to get my full license. Holla. So starting this late isn't such a bad thing in my opinion.

I pulled up to a stop sign and stopped for the respected amount of time. I glanced both ways and saw no one coming, allowing me to continue straight. By accident I began to speed.

"Sammie, slow down! You're going fifty in a thirty-five," Harry scolded. He pointed towards the upcoming speed limit sign making me laugh in embarrassment. I tended to press on the gas pedal too harsh after I stop.

"I don't think watching 'The Fast and Furious' franchise was a good thing before doing this," I pursed my lips.

"Just because that's how Vin Diesel and Paul Walker do it in the movies, doesn't mean you do it in real life," he rolled his eyes.

I chose to ignore his comment, resisting the urge to punch him in the shoulder.

"Okay, now do a three-point turn up here," he instructed.

I did just that. I pulled into the nearest driveway, put the car in reverse, and turned to the direction I came from. Almost hit a cat by doing so but other than that it all worked out okay.

We soon pulled up to a stoplight. This stoplight in the whole town was probably the slowest one ever. So we just sat there waiting for it to turn green.

"Can I ask you something?" I spoke up over the soft hum of music playing throughout the car.

"I guess," he shrugged.

"How'd you and Luke meet?"

"I thought this whole infatuation with him ended?" He whined, looking over to me with a sour face.

I spluttered, choking on thin air while widening my eyes. "Uh– what?"

"Sammie, I'm not an idiot. Every time he walked into a room you spazzed out. But now that that kid Charlie came around I assumed the whole 'Oh my God Luke's so pretty' phase ended."