thirtythree - boyfriend

Luke and I sat on the living room couch in my house awaiting for Harry to start talking. He kept pacing around the house like a weirdo, shaking his head for the past two minutes.

He stopped after some while and stared at me and Luke. He crossed his arms over his chest like he was waiting for us to start talking.

"Look, mate," Luke started but was shushed by Harry.

"I will talk."

Luke gestured for Harry to begin but yet he still didn't start talking. I huffed and leaned back against the couch, shutting my eyes.

"Y'know this is like bro code or something," Harry began, placing his hand to his mouth and dragging his hand down his face.

"Technically that's for like ex-girlfriends," Luke said but retracted to the back of the couch like me.

"Yeah, well I'm enhancing the code. Dude, that's my sister! And Samantha, really, that's my best friend! I thought you were over this!" Harry began to yell. My eyes grew wide, not wanting him to say anything else.

"Over what?" Luke asked, his ears perking a bit.

"Sammie, was obsessed with you ever since you first came here. Seriously, you didn't know?" Harry asked astonished. Luke smirked at me. Great, his ego just inflated way past ten.

My cheeks grew red and my hands grew sweaty. I stood up from my spot and walked over to the stairs.

"Well, I'll be on my way now. Goodnight fellas," I began my ascend up the stairs and stopped wanting to get one final word in to Harry, just to piss him off even more.

"Oh and Harry, try not to kill my boyfriend, yeah?"

I could hear the smoke leaving his ears from all the way up here, making me smirk as I continued to my room.

-

Being in work with Ashton was most definitely this time around. It's like he knew I knew the truth now.

He strayed away from me as much as he could. But because we were here all day, we were bound to run into each other at some point. My fondness of Ashton didn't change however.

In my eyes he was just a drunk boy. That's no excuse in anyway but I couldn't just completely shut him out. I felt sympathy for him, I truly did.

He walked around with more grief today it seemed like. He walked sluggishly and I could see circles under his eyes darkening. When I walked up to him to ask him if he was okay he just walked away.

I grew more and more frustrated as the day grew on. We were at an hour before closing and the tension built up exponentially.

I placed albums back in their proper places and glanced over at Ashton counting the money in the register. I pushed back the thought of going up to him and continued on doing my work.

Screw it.

I placed the final album in its place and sauntered over to him.

"Hey," I spoke up, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What?" He asked slowly, quirking an eyebrow and looking up right at my eyes.

I looked around the store trying to get away from his harsh stare. "Are you okay?"

He chuckled at my question and stood up from the stool behind the counter. He pursed his lips and shook his head before starting to walk away.

"Hey, I'm trying to talk to you here!" I called out to his retreating figure.

"Well, I don't really feel like talking," he smiled back over his shoulder.

"You can't always run from your problems!" I shouted as he slammed the door to his grandma's office. She left early today due to not feeling so well.

It was like a movie scene played out in the next few moments. He opened the door menacingly slow and cocked his head to the side and squinted his eyes at me.

"What did you just say?" He questioned. If looks could kill I would've been dead long before I opened my stupid mouth. I regretted speaking out like that. Because the way we're both thinking right now is not how I wanted this conversation. But a thought in the back of my mind keeps repeating:

But maybe you did want this.

"I-I. . . don't know why I said that," I stuttered, taking a step back as he took one closer.

"My problems, Sammie, aren't yours. So don't try to tell me what I can and can't do," he hissed. I nodded my head quickly going back to my business from before.

Smooth, really smooth. That could've played out so much better.

Time ticked by so much slower now. I finished everything I was tasked with and sat behind the counter again like I was all day. Ashton didn't come out any more that night, until closing time struck us. He exited the office and pulled the key out of his pocket. I hurried to grab my jacket from the back and put it on before I was locked in here for the night.

I shut the lights off as I walked through the door and watched as Ashton turned the key to lock the place.

I didn't bother to say anything to him and he didn't bother to do the same. I heard him start up his car as I trekked down the sidewalk, the light posts illuminating the concrete to a
gold-ish color. I pulled my earbuds out of my pocket and placed the end into my phone, putting on some basic pop music of today.

I felt a presence linger behind me, making me turn my head to the side. I saw Ashton standing outside his car looking at me.

"Do you, uh, do you want a ride home?" He hesitated, rubbing the back of his neck. "My apology for snapping at you earlier."

I pursed my lips and went over all the outcomes of me doing this. I could be raped and murdered, I could be kidnapped, or I could simply just go home. I hoped for the latter.

"Sure."

✶ ✶ ✶

short chapter soz

hope y'all had a happy new year and enjoyed this chapter!

stay rad xoxo
-g