Chapter Two

I texted one of my employees to switch my schedule with them. I couldn't get out of bed right now. I was in too much pain. I curled up in a ball and cried myself to sleep.

Hours later I took a shower cleaning myself up. Scrubbing as hard as I could. I still felt dirty. I sobbed leaning into the wall. Screaming profanities. Hating my life. Wishing he would stop coming in here doing what he does. I got ready for work an hour early. I left knowing he would try to come in again to use me as always.

I walked taking the long way and once there I clocked in. I started serving people. Putting on a facade as if life was good. I walked to the last table about to order.

"Hi welcome to Brooks town. It's not very much, but the people here are nice and friendly. Full of love. Welcome to the community we hope you enjoy living here." I greeted with a huge smile. It was the guy asking for directions. He scoffed, and rolled his eyes.

He didn't look like he wanted to converse. I turned my head to the little girl sitting with him. "Hey, aren't you just the cutest little thing. The people around here will love you. What's your name?" I questioned.

"Skylar, I'm four." She said, and I smiled.

"That is such a pretty name. Four! Omg big girl school is coming up for you are you excited?" I questioned.

"Yes ma'am." She smiled brightly at the idea.

"The kids here are so nice. I just know you will love Millie's daughter. I have a friend name Millie she has a girl your age going to big girl school. She's a little nervous and can sure use a friend to go to school with. Maybe y'all can have a play date one day and get to know each other."

"Oh Daddy can I meet Millie daughter. Please Daddy, please." Skylar begged.

"Of course you can pumpkin." He smiled at her softening up.

"Yes! Thank you ma'am." The little girl beamed.

"What can I order for you guys?" I questioned.

"What's the best thing for today?" He asked his face hardening again.

"Well today's special is spaghettis with a nice Cesar salad, and garlic toast. Wash that down with a cold beverage. Guys around here prefer our macho burger. Which is two ground meat patties, cheese, onions, pickles, mayo, mustard, and bacon. With a side of fries."

"I'll take a regular burger, just cheese, with curly fries, and a root beer. What would you like Princess?" He ordered and asked his daughter.

"Maybe I want chicken nuggets with fries, or macaronis." She said.

"I can always get you both if you will like." I said.

"That be great, and she would like fruit punch." He said, and I nodded.

I went up to be counter and placed their order. I helped make their food, to quicken things up and rushed to give them their drinks. After I gave people their refills and I was called up to get an order. I grabbed the hot plates and sat them down in front of out new guest.

"Could you eat with us?" Skylar asked, pleading with us.

"I'm sorry but I'm working right now. Maybe another time okay." I said, and she looked sad.

"Pretty please just talk to us for a little." She asked, and I sighed. I grabbed a chair from another table and sat down. "You should come over and play dollies with me. I have so many, and I know the perfect one for you. We can play dress up and I can do your make up and hair."

"Oh my I...." I said, but was cut off.

"Skylar you can't just invite a stranger into our house." He said being harsh. I smiled at Skylar.

"I hope you enjoy your food, come again." I said standing putting the chair back where it belonged. I rushed and started cleaning up. I had to close the shop. Sweeping taking my time. I danced to the music and wiped down the tables.

Ben Pov....

She walked away and started cleaning. I ate with my Princess. I pulled my phone out and looked through my emails. I had missed calls and decided that I could handle them later. Skylar talked her precious head off. I noticed that the waitress was dancing to the music playing from the radio. There was only a few people there. They joined her and they laughed. When the song ended they gave her a tip and hugged her bye. I barely ate my food, I wasn't in the mood to eat. I had business to take care of. When Skylar was done I stood throwing a wad of cash on the table. I put Skylar's jacket on her and we left. I turned around and the place was empty. I sighed and turned the music up. I put the guys plates in the sink, and counted his cash. He gave me sixty dollars. His total was 25 dollars. Woah. He overpaid I ran out to see if he was still there to give him his money back, but no one was there. I will have to give it to him the next time I run into him. I closed the diner and went home.