Chapter Fifth

The next day I stayed in my room. I was in my bed. Last night I never got up. There was a note on the table next to my bed.

Skylar and I are at the lake behind he house. Join us when you are awake.
~Ben

Ah, so his name was Ben. I look at the clock on the wall. It read 12:07. I got dressed in a long sleeve, jeans, and worn out shoes. I tied my braided my hair back and went to the kitchen. I washed my hands and made lunch. Sandwiches, chips, apple sauce, and oranges. I grabbed juices and water bottles from out the fridge. I saw a picnic basket and packed everything inside. I walked towards the lake and I saw them on a boat. I took a seat at the old picnic table and got out my drawing pad. I started drawing them in the boat in the water. When they came to land I stood and grabbed the picnic basket. I set everything out.

I thought I fix lunch. It looks like a beautiful day. "Daddy look at her picture. It's us. It looks real!" Skylar exclaimed.

"I do see it, it looks nice." He said. I gave them sanitizer and we ate. "So you draw."

"For fun. Nothing serious." I said modestly.

"Don't be modest. You have a true gift. What is it you want to be?" He asked.

"I want to find love and be a mother. I want to teach. Probably a stay home mom." I said honestly. "But probably a waitress." I said looking away frowning. I was too scared to get too close to anyone. I couldn't trust no one.

"How are you feeling?" He asked concerned.

"Free." Was all I could say. "I am going to sit by the water." I announced and Skylar looked like she wanted to go but he stopped her. I left them to eat alone. I sat by the water and was pondering.

"I put Skylar for a nap. Why don't you come inside." He said with a calm voice. I didn't want to leave here, but it was probably for the best. We took the walk there slowly. "I scheduled you a doctors appointment. To get you checked out. About yesterday I know things like this can circulate around a small town and everyone knows everyone's business. The Deputy knows to keep this quiet. No one will know." He said, and I thanked him quietly.

....

I was frightened. I sat on the doctors table. Laid out I took a test. Skylar was with a nurse. Ben was getting coffee. The doctor checked down there for any damage. The door opened and screamed trying to cover up. Ben covered his eyes and closed the door. He kept his eyes closed until he came to stand next to me. I felt my eyes water and I squeezed my eyes close as they kept prodding down there checking for any damage.

"Thankfully no real bad damage. She just needs to rest and heal. No sex for a week or two." The doctor said and I sighed. I was given my clothes and I got dressed. "The results should come in two hours. I'll give you a call." Ben shook hands with the doctor. I nodded my thanks and we left.

"Want to stop by the diner. I can always cook something." He asked.

"It doesn't matter." I said.

"You have to eat. I noticed you are barely eating. Diner it is. I'll get you the burger and curly fries." He said and my stomach rumbled at the thought of food. He got Skylar, and paid the nurse for keeping an eye on her. We left and as promised we were at the diner eating. Several people stopped to say hi. Saying how they missed my face at the diner.

"I miss you guys too. Tomorrow is Saturday. I will try and show up at the party. No promises." I said and smiled.

"Oh alright." Betsy said and I laughed wholeheartedly.

"She's such a busy woman Betsy. You remember what it is like to be young at that age. Always moving around." James said and the old couple talked and said their goodbyes. Millie walked in and I jumped up and attacked her with a hug squealing.