Chapter Eight

I walked out my room to the front of the house. They waited for me. "You look pretty. Your a real life Barbie doll." Skylar said smiling.

"You look pretty yourself. You picked a perfect dress for this occasion. Such a princess you are." I said, and she gasped.

"Daddy you hear that. She thinks I'm a princess." Skylar said tugging on Ben's pants. I looked at him and he taken back.

"You are a princess. I call you one everyday." He said, and cleared his throat. "Shall we leave?" He said opening his arm to the both of us. I accepted and took his right arm. We left and headed into town. I sighed. It was going to be a fun night. He parked the car and we took Skylar to the kids room. They were going to be at the elementary gym watching a movie or playing with toys.

"There's no reason to be scared okay. It's going to be fun." I told her, and Jessie ran up to her. They hugged.

"Can I go now?" Skylar pleaded. I laughed, and Ben told her yes. We walked over to the grown up party, and the music was blaring loud. I greeted people as I walked in.

"Aaliyah." Millie called, and she pulled my arm to the side.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nate is back. He is here. News is he is single, and ready to mingle." She said, and I sighed. "Also I heard him talking to the guys, he stayed single the whole time while in New York."

"That's nice." I stated not showing any emotion.

"That's not nice. That's perfect. He kept his promise." She said, and I rolled my eyes.

"I am just not ready to date right now." I said, and she sighed.

"Maybe if you push yourself out there, you will get into the zone. I want to see my bestie get married and be happy." She said. I knew her intentions were well.

"Maybe, I'll think about it." I said, and she smiled. I looked behind me and Ben seem to be in a few thought. I touched his arm, and he looked down at me. "Let's get a drink to relax." I said, and he nodded. We walked over to the drinks. I grabbed two beers, and handed him one. He took a sip and made a yuk face. I giggled.

"This is awful." He said, and I laughed even more.

"You will get used to the taste." I said, and took a sip of mine. It was awful, but after the fourth sip you'll get used to the taste. I saw Nate walking towards me.

"Aaliyah, you look beautiful as ever." He said, and I smiled. Nate's charm always surprise me.

"Thank you." I smiled, blushing.

"So how has it been. You never returned my letter." He said, and I raised an eyebrow.

"I never received a letter." I said, and he looked confused.

"It could have gotten lost in the mail." He sighed. I saw the distress and he noticed Ben looking between us. "Is this your boyfriend."

"No, he is my friend. Nate this is Ben. Ben this is Nate." I said introducing them. Nate stretched his arm out and Ben just looked at it. I almost laughed. Ben was never social at first. Him and Nate are two different people. Ben was antisocial, but once you got to know him he's very caring, and fun. Nate was social, quirky, charming and funny. He was like the jock of the school, whereas Ben probably would have been the serious bad boy.

"So Nate how was your studies?" I asked, trying to make it less awkward.

"It was hard and challenging. I passed second in my class." He said, and I congratulated him. I heard Ben make a noise and I glanced at him as Nate talked about his schooling process. "So maybe tomorrow we can go out for dinner and talk." He said, and I smiled.

Before I can say anything, Ben set his drink down. "She can't tomorrow. I need her watching my daughter while handle business." He said, and his eyes wandered over to Joanne. Of course she was in a skin tight dress, cleavage out for all the men to see.

"That's a bummer, would you care to dance." He said, and I nodded.

"I'll meet you there, I need to talk to Ben for a moment." I said, and he nodded. I watched him walk away.

"Thank you for getting me out of that awkward situation. I am just not ready to put myself out in the dating world." I said, and he nodded not paying attention to a word I say. "Her name is Joanne, if she caught your attention this much why don't you go talk to her." He glanced down at me and then back at her.

"I'm not into her like that. More like a one night stand. She look like she would be okay with that." He said, and I scoffed. He is such a pig. I didn't take him for that kind of guy. I walked away before I gave him a piece of my mind. Of course she was like that, but the way he felt so free to say that. To look at a woman as if she is a piece of meat. That is just wrong. I danced with Nate once and told him I needed to get going. He kissed my hand and said goodnight. I looked around for Ben and he was no where to be found. He must be with her. I went to the elementary and I sat down with Skylar and Jessie as they watched the movie.

Ben's Pov....

I had a quickie session with Joanne behind the building and I fixed myself up. I walked back into the party and I didn't see Aaliyah anywhere. I started to panic. If that boy was taking advantage of her I will kill him. She didn't deserve to be put in pain. I saw him laughing with his friends. I walked up to him.

"Where is she?" I questioned gripping his shirt. He lifted his arms in surrender.

"Hey man, calm down. Aaliyah left." He said, and I let go of him. I ran out of the place. How could she leave. Did she not know the dangers of being alone at night. If she was walking home alone....positive thoughts. I got in my car and drive to the elementary building. I'll get Skylar and we can go searching for Aaliyah. I parked the car and ran inside. I found her sleeping next to Skylar who was whispering to Jessie.

"Skylar it's time to go home." I said, and she said goodbye to Jessie. I picked Aaliyah up and told Skylar to get inside. "Aaliyah wake up." I said, and she mumbled in her nap and clutched onto my neck. I opened the passenger seat, and put her body in the seat. I buckled her in, and closed the door.