Chapter Thirteen

The next morning I was awaken to a little girl playing with her dollies. "Good morning Aaliyah." Skylar exclaimed.

"Good morning Skylar." I said smiling. "Where's Ben?" I asked noticing his side of the bed is empty.

"He is cleaning and cooking breakfast." She said, and I nodded. I got myself dressed and cleaned up. Skylar and I walked to the kitchen.

"Food smells good." I said. My mouth watered at the delicious aroma that filled the kitchen.

"It will be ready any second. He said. I took a seat and my plate already had biscuits, bacon, eggs on it. He walked over and scooped cheesy grits on my plate. I was so excited to eat. It looked delicious. He brought Skylar's plate over which was cooling down a bit in the freezer.

I dug in enjoying the different taste that exploded in my mouth. "This is good." I said, and he chuckled.

"I'm glad you like it." He said eating. "Millie called and asked if you and Skylar come over."

"Sounds like a plan." I said, and he nodded.

"I will be checking out the bank and seeing how the repairs are going." He said, and I nodded. When we were done we left. Once at Millie's the girls went off to Jessie's room. I hugged Millie.

"So how's life?" Millie asked.

"Terrific." I said flopping backwards on her bed.

"What happened to Aaliyah?" She asked jokingly.

"I am here. Yesterday Ben and I said goodnight to each other. So I tried sleeping I couldn't. Went to the kitchen to get some water and he was done there drinking milk and eating cookies. He couldn't sleep. When we were done eating our snack I grabbed him and we went to sleep in the same bed. No sex, just sleep. We both admitted we like sleeping next to each other."

"So do you like him now?" She asked.

"He and I are great friends. Skylar called me Mommy yesterday. I was thrown off. I told Ben and he said he would talk to her. Saying that one day I would leave them. I don't think I could. I love being at the farm. Our daily routines every day." I said.

"Did you have a big breakfast?" Millie asked pointing at my stomach. I nodded. "I have a question. Have you had your period yet?" She asked.

"No not yet." I said, and she sighed. She went through her drawer and grabbed a box. She sat it next to me. "I am not pregnant Millie."

"Do you guys use protection? Are you on the pill?" She asked.

"I used to be on the pill." I said thoughtfully. That was during the bad days. I didn't want to have his baby. Since I was with Ben I haven't. We haven't used protection. You don't have to get pregnant every time you have sex.

"Go check." Millie said, and I was nervous. I went to the bathroom. I read the instructions and followed it. I grabbed a piece of tissue and set the stick on top. I washed my hands and opened the door. "Now all we have to do is wait."

Waiting it seemed like forever. I was so scared. I was only twenty-three. Millie distracted me by talking and watching tv. I stood knowing it was past the time to find out. "I'm scared Millie." I said.

"Don't be. I'm right here for you okay. I'm right here. I won't let anyone hurt you." She said, and I nodded. I walked in the bathroom and saw the two pink lines on the test. It read a month and a week. I ran out and sobbed on the bed. Millie sat next to me and rubbed my back. "It's going to alright okay."

"I'm a month and a week pregnant Millie." I cried, and she tried to shushed me. I went to sleep laying right next to her.

....

"Ben is here Aaliyah. It's time to go." Millie said, and I groaned. I didn't want to wake up. She helped me stand. I sighed. I laid my head on her shoulder and she walked me to the door. I closed my eyes not ready to face him yet. "She was sleeping. I think she is still tired." He chuckled lightly.

"I got her." He said, and grabbed me.

"Be careful Aaliyah. Call me if you need anything." Millie said, and I nodded. He buckled me in my seat belt and I still kept my eyes closed. The drive home was long. Skylar talked about how much fun she had with Jessie.

"Sounds like you had a lot of fun." He said, and I could feel him glance at me. He parked and Skylar got out. I opened my eyes. "You were crying? Why?" He asked concerned. I watched as Skylar ran inside the house. Tears escaped from my eyes.

"Nothing is wrong." I said trying to wipe the tears from my eyes.

"Don't lie to me." He said. I shook my head. "Tell me or we can go back to Millie's and she can tell me. I would much rather hear it from you."

"I....I'm pregnant Ben. I'm going to go draw by the lake." I said and rushed out before he could say anything. I grabbed my art supplies and ran as fast as I could to the lake. I sat my things down. I pushed my legs up to my knee and cried. I didn't feel like drawing.

I felt his presence near me. He sat next to me. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "I never meant for this to happen."

I wiped my tears. I started at the lake. "It takes two." I said, and he nodded.

"Do you plan on leaving?" He asked. The hurt in his voice as he said that. I shook my head.

"No. Soon I'll get over my fear. It is my baby. I am taking care of it. I'm staying." I said, and he nodded.

"You can't keep it from me." He said getting defensive.

"I won't try." I said, and he grabbed me. I sat in his lap and he hugged me. He thanked me. I laid my head on his shoulder. "I'm so scared."

"Don't be. I'm here every step of the way." He said and kissed the top of my head. I sighed. I needed to hear that. He stood and carried me inside. "Do you need anything?" He asked.

"No thank you." I said, and he sat on the couch. He put a movie on. I put my head on his chest and listen to his heart beat. "I'm a month and a week pregnant."

He touched my stomach. "I can't wait to hold it." He said, and I smiled.

*not edited*