Chapter 36 - Affection

The second that Will had detected me having frozen up and yelping in pain, he shifted his head back to look at my face, concern written all over his. "Are you ok?" He whispered, as if not fazed by the fact that he had just freaking bitten me!?

"Are you kidding me! You just bit me Will, what the f-" I stopped in mid sentence the second that I brought my hand up to feel this apparent bite. But nothing. There was nothing there. And there was no pain there either, anymore.

"Miranda what are you talking about?" He asked again, this time studying me much more intensely.

"I...I...I could have sworn that you..." I trailed off, noticing disappointment wash over him as he pulled his body off of me and slumped down onto the bed next to me, lying on his back, exhaling out a deep breath as he closed his eyes.

I was so incredibly confused. What on earth had just happened? I could have sworn that he bit me. I felt it, it was so intense, I felt the familiar pain in my neck, and it felt so real...I also exhaled a breath and closed my eyes; an attempt to regain back some logic and play over in my mind what had just happened. The second I closed them, an image flashed into my mind - Joel. It was just a split second but I could have sworn that I saw the most smug looking smirk on his face. Boy did it anger me, it made my blood boil, I almost felt...hatred towards him.

I snapped my eyes open so that I didn't have to look at his face any longer, and then noticed that Will was staring at me, aware of my frightened expression. He leaned up on his side and shuffled closer to me, gently brushing the hair from my face, and looking into my eyes with so much emotion.

"Miranda, was it him again?" He asked, trying to hide the frustration on his face, but I could tell that it had rightly pissed him off; he was just trying to suppress it so that I didn't think that it was me he was angry at. Clearly he knew that there was something else going on and it was hardly my fault.

"I...I think so. I could have sworn that I felt you bite me, and just then when I closed my eyes I saw his face. It must have been him." I told him while cringing. The last thing that I ever wanted was that...creep, to interrupt an intimate moment between Will and I, once more. It seemed that every time we would make out, Joel would come back to haunt me. I sure as hell hoped that it wasn't just all in my mind. And then I remembered that I needed to talk to my grandma still about all of this, she seemed to have had something to tell me.

"Miranda, maybe it's best if we don't, you know, do anything like this until this is all sorted out..." He told me, continuing to affectionately stroke the hair behind my ear. "It's just killing me that we can't even get further than a simple kiss without that douche interrupting. It might be easier if I just, well, stay away from you..." He said, looking at me sympathetically.

"No. No Will, I will not let him get between us. That's exactly what he wants. I'm going to sort this out, I promise. I think my grandma might know what to do, I'll speak to her tomorrow." I told him while wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my face in his chest. I think that I...loved him, and there was no way that I was going to let him go that easily.

He pulled away from me to look at me again "Miranda, it's so hard for me to be here like this with you and fight back the urge to kiss you, even to bite you. But I would never let myself lose control with you like that. And it's even harder every time it's taken away from me, when he interrupts."

We were staring into each other's eyes again, and I could feel the tears well up in my eyes at the thought of not being able to have him. I buried my face into his chest once more so that he couldn't see how upset I was. We both relaxed into the embrace, and before I knew it my eye lids were becoming heavy, and I couldn't fight back my body succumbing to the darkness any longer.