Chapter 41 - Comfortable

As soon as I laid eyes on the door, I realised that whoever had slammed it had exited it, not entered. I turned to Ashton before gently and vastly removing myself from his embrace and rushing off towards the door. I needed to know who it was. That door was a self-closing door, and the only way it could slam was by force. Whoever was there was clearly angry.

I pulled it open so fast that I nearly knocked myself out, and glared down the stair case. But nothing. Whoever it was, were long gone. And then I realised that the only way someone could get down there in such a short space of time would have been if they were...superhuman. Vampire. It must have been a vampire. My vibes were making me feel extremely uneasy, with a slight bit of remorse. I didn’t really understand it at first, but after thinking about it, it could really only mean one of few things.

The vampire that was there must have known me. It could have been a rogue after my blood, or better yet...Will. Had Will just witnessed me there in yet another man’s arms? I sure as hell hoped not. I let out a sigh and turned around to come face first with Ashton’s chest, almost running into it.

“You ok?” He asked, looking rather concerned.

“Yeah, I-I’m fine. I’m sure that someone was there, I could feel it. I don’t know who though...” I trailed off, letting Ashton cut me off.

“I felt it too. I don’t know who it was either. And I know what you’re assuming. Either way we need to get inside, it may not be safe out here for you.” He said sympathetically, grabbing me by the hand and dragging me towards the apartment. I couldn’t help but notice how warm his hand felt, and the second that I felt it in mine I felt relieved, comforted, and warm and fuzzy inside. I liked this feeling, and I realised that having the company of someone else was something that I greatly missed and craved.

We made our way through the door and locked it behind us. “I don’t wanna leave you here just yet Miranda, just in case you’re in any kind of danger. I have a feeling that you’re not but we need to be sure.” He told me while dumping his bag on the floor and heading straight for the fridge. “Got anything to eat?” He asked playfully, examining the contents of my fridge and then moving onto the cupboards.

“Sweet! I love salt and vinegar chips.” He chirped, pulling out a packet and opening it up almost immediately. I never ate that kind of junk, I completely forgot that I had them, leftovers from my party I’d remembered.

I switched on the TV and slumped down onto the couch, grabbing a pillow and pulling it in close to me, hugging it like it was the most precious thing on the planet. Ash sat down next to me and pulled the remote out of my hand. I just turned to glare at him and noticed how silly he looked; his mouth stuffed full of chips, crumbs falling from it, and a goofy smirk on his lips as he proceeded to flick through the channels, completely oblivious that I was gawking at him. He promptly froze and slowly turned his head to look at me, having realised what a complete slob he must have looked like and suddenly becoming self conscious. We both just burst out into laughter.

I had to admit that he was incredibly cute, a little immature, but still adorable. Which is probably why I took such a liking towards him, because he reminded me so immensely of Summer. Having thought of her made me wonder if it would have bothered her that I was hanging with Ash, wondering if she still liked him. I planned to call her later on after Ash left.