Chapter 38 - Exhausted

Chapter 38 – Exhausted

I was in complete shock and I didn’t quite know what to do straight away. I felt like I’d possibly made one of the biggest mistakes I’d ever made in my entire life. I’d stupidly pretended to be in love with a guy who I wasn’t, simply just for show to piss off a girl that I hated. And the freaking moment that I did it, the guy that I really was in love with had to witness it! I had to get out of this messed up situation, and fast.

I pushed Joel away from me the second that it had registered, and turned to face Will with guilt consuming my expression “Will, I, I...” I was stuttering, still in too much shock to let the words roll off my tongue correctly. But before I even had a chance to finish, he was gone, in the blink of an eye. The only evidence that he had been there in the first place was a gust of cool air which blew past my face.

I suddenly felt like I was about to throw up, and all I knew I had to do then was to chase after him. I had to make this better and I had to be quick about it. I turned to Joel, not being able to help contain the bitterness in my expression that I had now felt towards him, before turning to make a run for the exit. “Miranda, wait!” He called out, his voice turning into a mere distant echo, as I proceeded further and further away from him, out the door, and through the front gate. I also herd a faint evil giggle coming from Lilly as I left, which had caused my blood to boil. I couldn’t bear to waste another minute fretting over that bitch so had to push her out of my mind immediately.

I realised that my ‘vampire’ instincts began to sink in the second that I leaped out onto the street, as I picked up a familiar scent in the air, and it was heading left. I didn’t know how but I recognised this scent as Will. It was sweet, masculine, and had the remnants of his alluring cologne left behind.

I instantly began to follow the scent, and picked up my pace to as fast as I could manage. It surprised me when the scenery around me began to blur, almost like when you’re on a rollercoaster. I was in shock but deep down this somehow felt natural, like I knew that I was capable of this.

I also knew that the adrenaline had now completely overtaken my form; I was solely focused on mindlessly following this scent that I think that I had been running for almost twenty minutes before I even realised what I was doing. It was beginning to get closer and closer, as the urban life that surrounded me began to become increasingly vague; houses turning from rows into the odd one passing by, until eventually there were no more. There were just trees, the streets engulfed by forests, and what I could see in the distance over the hill was water. The water glistened in the sun and I began to become confused with the scent of a sea breeze additionally filling my nose.

My mouth was incredibly dry and my legs began to ache, but something inside of me was telling me that I just had to keep running, I had to push on until I’d gotten to where I anticipated to be. I started to slow my pace when I thought that for a split second I’d recognised the scene in front of me. When everything around me morphed from a blur into a normal, sharp, standard picture, I almost gasped in shock as to where my petty little legs had taken me to. It couldn’t be, it just couldn’t.

Before me stood the familiar car park in which I had visited now on numerous occasions. Not just in reality, but in my unsettling nightmares. It was the car park which was situated just before that daunting beach. The one with the path that led down onto my so-called destiny. I wasn’t quite sure what to do at that moment. I had tracked Will’s scent all the way down here, and that confused the hell out of me.