Chapter 53 - Peaceful

Will reluctantly moved off of me, and I scrambled to pull my hospital gown down and straighten my hair out. I felt my face turn bright red and I felt incredibly guilty, even though I knew deep down that I didn't need to. Ashton was looking between us furiously, and I could see the hurt in his eyes.

"Ash, um, we need to talk..." I trailed off as he spun around so fast and bolted out of the door way. "I better go chase after him, I guess. We need to sort this out once and for all." I said as I stood up and frantically searched for some trackies and a top to throw on. It took me literally less than thirty seconds to change, and race straight out the door, leaving a desperate and most likely disappointed Will behind. Urgh.

Using my 'superhuman' abilities, something that I deemed I would never get used to, I tracked Ashton down almost instantly. He was lying on the grass out in the back yard. That yard was beautiful and I had myself used it occasionally to relax and try to get things off of my mind.

I hesitantly made my way out, arms folded across my chest self consciously, and slowly made my way towards him. He was lying on his back on the grass, his hands covering his face. I saw him stiffen a little when he realised that someone was approaching him.

"Ash, look, firstly, I'm so sorry. But there's something you need to know, something that no one has had the guts to tell you yet." I said in the most soothing way possible. He didn't flinch but I proceeded to take a seat on the grass beside him, crossing my legs and placing my hands in my lap.

"Ash?" I murmured, as if trying to get some sort of reassurance that I could continue on with what I was saying. He sighed out a large breath, before hesitating to remove his hands from his face and sit up to face me, defensively. I saw the tears in his eyes then, the pain, the broken trust, and it completely shattered my heart.

"Ash, before you were in a coma, well...us. There was never really, an 'us'. Yeah we were close, but nothing more than friends. And when you woke up, I'm not even sure what happened, or how, but you somehow thought we were, well, together." I said, flinching, watching his every reaction. His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked overly confused.

"W-what are you talking about Miranda? Is this some sort of joke?" He asked with clear frustration in his tone. He was evidently still furious about catching Will and I making out.

I drew in a deep breath before replying. "No, Ash, it's not. I was so worried about you, and I know it was probably very wrong, but I just didn't know how to tell you that it was all wrong, that the feelings you had for me weren't returned. I wasn't sure if you were going to make it, and I just wanted you to be happy..." I trailed off, noticing his face change, from anger, to hurt, to almost embarrassment.

He was looking to the ground now, his eyes squinting as he was lost deep in thought. He then took in a deep breath before looking back up at me, this time much more frustrated than before. "Well it sure as hell was very wrong." He stated quite bitterly, and stood up before storming off into the house.

"Wait, Ash!" I called out in hope that he'd turn around and hear me out. But it was hopeless. I'd broken his heart and there was nothing that I could have done at that moment to mend it. I needed to give this time, and I knew that. But I couldn't help but feel the regret, the guilt, the pain, that it had caused me from doing so. I felt the tears well up in my eyes and I planted my face into my palms, leaning forward, trying to hold back the emotions. I cared about Ashton, a lot, which was why this was hurting so badly, to see him like that.

"Miranda?" I heard a meek little voice call from across the yard. I snapped my head up realising just who that voice had come from, and felt the excitement spark up inside of me. My eyes laid onto a beautiful young lady standing in front of me at the back door.