Chapter 37 - Scared

Chapter 37 - Scared

He was advancing on my lips, fast, and I was almost too consumed by shock to respond. “Joel, stop...” I tried, bringing my palms up to place them on his chest. “Joel!” I shouted, noticing that he was completely unfazed by my words.

As a last resort, I shoved him off of me quite forcibly that he stumbled back in disbelief. He looked so confused and I felt the slightest bit of guilt rush through me for just a split second. “I don’t want you Joel, I’m sorry. And that’s not why I came here.” The words caused an unwanted pain in my chest, cringing at the hurt expression on his face. “I don’t love you, I never will. That’s why I came here, to tell you that.”

He just stood there, as if frozen in shock, as if expecting a completely different reaction out of me. “What are you talking about Miranda? We’re meant to be together, we’re meant for each other. Why are you lying to me?” He was completely deluded. I had a feeling this wasn’t going to be as easy as I’d first expected.

“No, I’m not lying. You need to listen to me, I don’t have much time. Will will be here any moment now. I love him, he is my soul mate, he is the love of my life, and you need to leave me alone. You need to stop connecting with my mind, it’s painful.” I blurted out, quite sternly, not leaving his gaze.

I saw the moment that his had heart shattered into a million pieces at my words, and it was killing me inside. As much I desperately needed to do this, I couldn’t help but feel bad. Joel was a part of my life before, and I was sure that I did care about him, but I needed to block all of those emotions out for the time being; I needed to focus solely on trying to remember that he had been trying to break Will and I up, and that he had been manipulating my mind, trying to brainwash me.

“Joel you need to leave me alone, ok. And you need to know something very important, and you need to listen to me because I am telling the truth. You’re parents, they...they did this to you. They created the link that you have to me, and they did it for very dark reasons. They’re the ones that killed my parents, they’re the ones that planned to get you to steer me away from my destiny with the vampires. They were evil Joel!” His face immediately turned from heartbreak to anger. His anger didn’t appear to be directed at me though, thankfully.

“Who the hell has been brainwashing you? It’s that jerk, isn’t it?!” He shouted, not being able to hold in the initial shock any longer.

“No. My grandma told me. And my vibes tell me that she is correct, to trust her. I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you Joel. There’s nothing you can do to stop me. I’m in love with Will and those vampires are my destiny.” After my words there was an eerie silence for just a moment, as if Joel was trying to process what I had just said.

“This is insane. You’re coming with me.” He said, completely taking me by surprise. Oh shit. He grabbed me by the arm quite firmly, and reached for his pocket. “I didn’t want to have to do this, I’m so sorry.” He said, pulling out what appeared to be...a wet cloth?! And then it hit me. The same wet cloth that he had used the day he took me from Will’s cabin…

I threw my arms in the air and tried to shove him away, but he was too quick, grabbing my other wrist, and shoving me hard against the wall. I struggled with him for a bit, fighting for freedom but he was just too strong. He lifted one of his hands and covered my mouth with the cloth. Before I knew it...