Chapter Four

Corrie had little time to ponder the handsome stranger who had caught her gazing at the stars. Her thoughts were consumed by the fact that she was turning up on the doorstep of the home she hadn't lived in for three years in the dead of night. Hauling her carpetbag in one hand and summoning her last reserves of energy, she approached the mayor's mansion. Her parents' home was a stunning stone edifice with a wraparound porch, a second floor balcony, and a beautiful view of the nearby waterways. Corrie walked up the front steps in the near-dark her boots clattering on the hollow staircase.

She drew in a breath, bracing herself; her parents had no warning of her arrival, so she could only imagine their response. Corrie wracked the broad oak door with her knuckles.

"Who is it?" called the coarse voice of her father's butler.

"Mr. Bricker, it's me, Corrie."

"Corrie," he murmured in surprise, opening the door. "What on earth are you doing here?"

Corrie smiled at the sight of the austere older man in the doorway. "I heard about Christina's condition and came home immediately. Are Mother and Father-"

"Who's at the door?" a voice called from a room further within the grand house.

Corrie grimaced. "It's Corrie, Father."

As she stepped inside the foyer of the house and passed Mr. Bricker her jacket, she saw her mother and father emerging from the glowing sitting room.

"Oh, Corrie!" her mother exclaimed, wrapping her in a hug. "It's so good to see you. What brings you here?"

Before Corrie could respond, her father interrupted, standing a few feet off with one hand pompously resting on a cocked hip. "Cornelia, what are you doing here, showing up on our doorstep in the middle of the night? You haven't been expelled from college, have you?"

Corrie felt her face flush red. "No, Father. I came home because I received a letter from Aunt Jack informing me of Christina's condition. Why didn't you tell me?"

Corrie's mother, Anita, touched Corrie's shoulder gently. "We didn't want to worry you, darling."

Anita was taller than Corrie and carried herself with a gentility Corrie coveted. Her hair was smooth and dark, pinned up fashionably, and her eyes were the same pale green as Corrie's and Christina's. She was breathtakingly beautiful though her hair was graying and wrinkles traced the outlines of her eyes and lips.

"Nonsense. I want to be here for her. Plus, with the war on, I know money is a bit tight. I can resume my studies after the war," Corrie said, setting her carpetbag on the floor with finality.

Oliver, her father, sputtered as he stared at her. "Wh-money isn't tight! How dare you say such a thing. We have always been one of the wealthiest families in the county."

Corrie sighed and tried to assuage his injured pride. "Yes, of course, Father. I just felt that I would be more useful here at home. I'm sure there's much I can do to support the war effort as well as Christina's health while I'm here."

The broad shouldered man frowned and stroked his salt and pepper mustache. "Yes, I suppose there's some sense in what you're saying. It would improve my reputation to have both daughters here by my side instead of gallivanting in the city."

Corrie bit her lip to prohibit a retort from escaping. "I'll stay here until Christina's recovered and return to school after the war."

Her father nodded. "Very well. But what of that wealthy suitor of yours? You haven't scared him off with your newfangled notions, have you?"